4wd not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khigley333

Reaction score
My truck is a 95 Z71. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it. My tcase locks in front driveshaft and I've swapped actuator out to the posi lok system. Also when I put it in 4 low the tcase goes in low gear but no power to front wheels. Then I noticed play in passenger side shaft so I pulled that and realized 4wd clutch gear snapped off. So I swapped front differential to one I was told was good but idk if that's true. Although there was no play in shafts, pinion yoke and no visible leaks. Previous owner butchered wiring to tcase trying to swap from thermal to electrical so it'll pop the fuse. When I turn on my lights the 4wd lights on the floor come on and stay on. However with everything mechanical I figured it'd still work. Any help or ideas would be appreciated because I'm out of them

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tcase locks in front driveshaft
High-range AND low-range? Is this a floor-shift transfer case, or the electric-shift-on-the-dash transfer case?

and I've swapped actuator out to the posi lok system. Also when I put it in 4 low the tcase goes in low gear but no power to front wheels.
Is there power INTO the front differential? You're saying the transfer case works.

If there's power in, but no power out...the front differential is where the problem is. That still doesn't tell you what the problem is, just the general location.

Then I noticed play in passenger side shaft
CV shaft?

I swapped front differential to one I was told was good but idk if that's true. Although there was no play in shafts, pinion yoke and no visible leaks.
Was the Posi-Lock installed properly? How do you know? Aftermarket modifications are the first thing I look at when unusual problems crop up.

Previous owner butchered wiring to tcase trying to swap from thermal to electrical so it'll pop the fuse.
Shouldn't matter since the Posi-Lock doesn't use electricity to engage the front axle/differential.

When I turn on my lights the 4wd lights on the floor come on and stay on.
You need to fix that, but it shouldn't affect the transfer case or the front axle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would start by un-butchering said butchered wiring. Let us know if you need schematics.