4l80e stalls in reverse when warm???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPF207

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a truck I found, 1999 c3500hd 454 4l80e with Monroe 4x4 conversion. The only real problem is the truck stalls in reverse when warm. Would really like to hear any thoughts on this one!! Thank you!

RPF207

Reaction score
Welp, I bleed Chevrolet just as much as the next guy but I'm thinking I'd get more input from a Toyota forum

RPF207

Reaction score
Yep! In the 90s Chevy came out with a medium duty truck known as the c3500hd, not to be confused with the c3500 found in their light duty pick up line. This was a 15,000# class 4 vehicle, three piece frame, Dana 80 10 lug rear, and many other heavy duty qualities. They were only available in 2wd unless.... You went to either Monroe or Quigley and paid a large price for them to add a Borg Warner 4470 transfer case, two new driveshafts, an oddly mounted carrier bearing, and the rare 10 lug Dana 70f. Monroe was the better of the two conversions whereas Quigley sometimes used Dana 60s up front with only 8 lug front hubs. In this case you could not use factory rims up front.

RPF207

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does it have a difficult time starting after its been running? and also does it just cut right out when going into reverse

RPF207

Reaction score
I'm going to look at it this weekend but according to the owner it always runs fine even when warm until it goes into reverse. Then it will start right back up. And yes, he says it dies right away when shifted into reverse. This truck has 60k miles on it. The tranny was rebuilt not too long ago according to the owner.