4l80e question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a friend that has a 98 k3500 6.5l diesel dually,, he is having issues with the 4l80e. took it to a transmission guy to get it looked at and its going to cost about $1500 to fix. so he has been looking for another tranny..

question is,, would a 4l80e out of a 99 k3500 454 gas truck work in his?

the guy at the junkyard says they are different from gas to diesel but cant explain why,,,

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but I believe the only difference is the torque converter. I think if he uses a diesel converter he should be fine. I've read of people using a diesel Trans behind a gasser with the correct converter so I don't see why it won't work the other way.

The junkyard guy is just telling you what his computer is saying that's why he can't tell you the differences.

tj98gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but I believe the only difference is the torque converter. I think if he uses a diesel converter he should be fine. I've read of people using a diesel Trans behind a gasser with the correct converter so I don't see why it won't work the other way.

The junkyard guy is just telling you what his computer is saying that's why he can't tell you the differences.

ok,, good deal,,

yea i know why he was told that,, i just wanted to ask everyone on here,,