4l60e trans acting like someone's holding the brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the engine rev up higher than it should? Could be low on fluid?

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rear diff could also be pooched, thats what happened to me and it felt like my tranny was screwed cause it was like someone was trying to do a brake tourque but the back wheels are also locked up but found out my pin inside of my gear on the rear end fell out and the gears were totally fried and she wouldnt move, try putting it in 4 by and see if she moves

jrmbrown93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will move just sluggish and feels like somethings holding it back could it be the transfer case or torque converter

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Put your shifter in 1, and drive down the road to a high rpm (way past where it should shift), then move the shifter to 2 and see if it shifts, I bet it won't until you move the shifter to 3. This would indicate that it is starting in 2nd gear. See if it coasts normally in neutral, this would confirm that its the trans, and not anything in any other part of the driveline.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put your shifter in 1, and drive down the road to a high rpm (way past where it should shift), then move the shifter to 2 and see if it shifts, I bet it won't until you move the shifter to 3. This would indicate that it is starting in 2nd gear. See if it coasts normally in neutral, this would confirm that its the trans, and not anything in any other part of the driveline.

^^ this guys got it.