4L60e HELP HELP HELP! im dying here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'hoe

Reaction score
okay, I Blew the transmission on new years eve, so after that i took it to a transmission shop where my buddy rebuilt it. (since my radiator was cracked they put on a small external transmission oil cooler) worked great for a about 2 months then it burned the 3rd and fourth gear clutches again. so they rebuilt it again. (this time i had put a new radiator in it but they didint put the cooler lines back into the radiator as it should be. as soon as i picked up my truck it Defaulted to third gear upon takeoff (took off in third gear) i was on my way to the dealer where my buddy works to have the Oil cooler lines installed as they should be when it started defaulting to third gear again. so i took it back to the shop so they can look at it. (they didint touch the Tahoe while it was there) it just sat around waiting for the cooler lines. a few days later, i went to the shop to install the Oil cooler lines with my buddy. we drove the truck for about an hour all around Miami. it didint default or anything the whole time. it drove fine. so as soon as i left (by myself) it started to take off in third gear again. so i said it. they will have to rebuild it a Third time and went home like that. a week or so later, i drive it to the shop (Overdrive Gone) and i had to manually shift it though the gears as to not completely fry the 3rd and 2nd gears. anyways, when i got to the shop, my buddy and i rebuilt the transmission a third time. just the two of us. (so i know all was done well.) We installed a new TCC Solenoid with the Harness, New Clutches for 3rd and 4th, and this black thing that goes on the bottom of the valve body. forgot the name of it, it had different round holes with seals and membranes. i think its a pressure switch or something like that. anyways, we tested out the truck for about an hour when we were done. and it was driving great... so i left after it was all done, a few days later, the transmission starts to default to third gear again... i go back to the shop and we Discovered a disconnected ground from the harness behind the engine. so we fixed that and put in some oil additive to the tranny. it drove great all the way home, and on a 200 mile emergency road trip i had to do that day to put the Cam timing back on 0 with my dads Snap-On computer Scanner. as soon as i left my dads house, (over 100 miles away) it defaulted to third gear out of the blue. then didint do it again till i got home. by my house the transmission kicked first HARD, then it didint do it again...... that was 2 weeks ago. since then the car is driving fine when it wants to. it will default to third gear erratically when it wants to upon takeoff and Neither I Or My mechanic know what it could be. im puzzled and stressed and i cant keep dealing with this...

I'm sorry for the extremely long post, i just had to explain it all so yall can get the full story

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I assume you've checked the PCM for trouble codes already?

I have a couple ideas off the top of my head but need to know what showed up on scan...

99'hoe

Reaction score
Yes i have scanned the PCM for Codes. nothing comes up for the transmission. and it erratic, no pattern at all. it (Defaults) when it wants to. the only thing that seems to fix the problem even for a little is hopes and wishes is all i can say... im lost...

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is ign switch goin bad but usually it throws a whole bunch of codes.....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So, it didnt behave like this before the rebuild yes?

What is your "buddy's" qualifications for doing a rebuild?

Is he a technician or just some guy who's built a couple before?

Stands to reason if it wasnt doing this before, its something you have touched along the way.

The "black thingy" you mentioned is most likely a solenoid pack.