454 upgrades - help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepster

Reaction score
I have a 2000 L29 that was pulled from a 3500HD. It's going into a 1955 chevy pickup.

When the motor was pulled, the intake was removed you could see the injectors were leaking. This thing needs help.

Goal - daily driver - roughly 400hp and 500tq goal

I need injectors for this thing, I don't have much $$ since this truck needs so much!! So will be rolling the dice on something that is a take off, not new china junk.

I picked up a cam, but I have no idea of what springs I need or rockers. if someone could chime in that would be great. Comp cam XR264HR 212 / 218 110LSA

I did read up and located and bought a 0411 out of a 2002 express van.

The trans is a 4l80e

I'm looking for injectors - part number I can bounce around on ebay. I'd rather not play with adapters / pigtails. Maybe down the road I do like 6psi of some sort of boost.

The headers might not been the best choice for torque with the 2" primary and 3.5" collector but I wasn't about to run block huggers / ram horns.

You must be registered for see images attach

it had a 216 cid

Last edited:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edelbrock air gap dual plane manifold and Brawler carb, since its a '55. Then use the ECM as a transmission controller only. Will need coolant temp, TPS and tach signals to have the trans know what is up. They sell TPS remote kits on carb setups. No idea if the stock springs can handle that cam. I always did cam and springs together.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a great project, I love the look of those trucks. Are you looking for stock replacement injector numbers or aftermarket recommendations? Stock # should be easy to find by looking up the application on a GM parts website.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Stock springs coil bind real quick. I put a 212/218 cam in with around .520/.530 lift in my L29. I measured where they bound but forgot the value. They were nowhere near able to handle my cam.

jeepster

Reaction score
Edelbrock air gap dual plane manifold and Brawler carb, since its a '55. Then use the ECM as a transmission controller only. Will need coolant temp, TPS and tach signals to have the trans know what is up. They sell TPS remote kits on carb setups. No idea if the stock springs can handle that cam. I always did cam and springs together.

I've debated that in my head for over a year. I've had the engine sitting in the driveway since last summer when it got pulled. I know it should be carb'd but I got everything for it, harness, lines, etc. The reason why I went with the 454 instead of the *me too* motor was I have a 67 chevelle that was bought as a project car. It's got a brand new L29 from 2000 - lucky if it has 50 miles on the engine. It's been in the current state for 3 years now. I'm looking to learn on the truck and then do the chevelle (stock l29 w/ 4l80e - 12bolt - 4.56 rear) I've never 'tuned'.

If I keep the engines - pretty close to the same - if something breaks, I got a parts car - less inventory :)

Another reason why I want to get away on the cheap - because its times 2 :)

Jwok - a little better than stock - It will be cam'd , headers and a 0411 swap.

double trouble!

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To quote David Freiberger, "don't get it right, just get it running."

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am loving your projects. I have a 68 chevelle as well as a 50 chevy pickup that are both on my to do list (along with my current trucks). Sorry i don't have any upgraded injector numbers for you.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gm pn 12561462 for the injectors. 28# instead of the oe 19# & they plug right in. Both of the sets I have ran me around $100

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk