454 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt Wallis

Reaction score
Ok I need help. I pulled the 454 from my 2000 Chevy K3500 due to a rod knock and I'm putting a 454 that I recently pulled out of a 1995 K2500 to put in the 2000 K3500. So it's TBI to EFI but the 1995 has no crank pickup. And the 6 bolt aluminum timing cover from the 2000 wont bolt on to where the 8 bolt steel cover on the 1995. I looked on Summet racing and they have aftermarket crank trigger bolt kits from Holly, MSD, and Fast. Has anyone used any of these with OEM system or do you guys have a better idea on how to fix this timing problem.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check with https://www.eficonnection.com/

They have setup that would work with factory efi.

Aluminium timing cover should use same bolt pattern just less bolts. Would think that should be able to swap the reluctor wheel and cover. Timing chain sprocket and balancer also have to match for correct installed depth

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok I need help. I pulled the 454 from my 2000 Chevy K3500 due to a rod knock and I'm putting a 454 that I recently pulled out of a 1995 K2500 to put in the 2000 K3500. So it's TBI to EFI but the 1995 has no crank pickup. And the 6 bolt aluminum timing cover from the 2000 wont bolt on to where the 8 bolt steel cover on the 1995. I looked on Summet racing and they have aftermarket crank trigger bolt kits from Holly, MSD, and Fast. Has anyone used any of these with OEM system or do you guys have a better idea on how to fix this timing problem.

TBI is EFI, but why do you want switch from a Gen 6 Vortec to a Gen 5 TBI engine?

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for fixing your original engine or sourcing the correct Gen 6 replacement. No sense in wasting time on a Gen 5 block.

Kurt Wallis

Reaction score

Aluminium timing cover should use same bolt pattern just less bolts. Would think that should be able to swap the reluctor wheel and cover. Timing chain sprocket and balancer also have to match for correct installed depth
I have both engines side by side. The new cover only has the 2 bottom holes that line up the next 2 up I would have to file the h

Aluminium timing cover should use same bolt pattern just less bolts. Would think that should be able to swap the reluctor wheel and cover. Timing chain sprocket and balancer also have to

I have both engines side by side on the floor. The timing cover dowl pins line up and the 2 bottom holes. I would have to file the holes in the cover to get the next 2 bolts in and the top 2 I would have to drill and tape. Even if I got it to fit the newer gen6 has single row timing chain verse gen5 double row which puts the target wheel off to the far side of the pickup sensor. The bolt pattern on roller cam is different so I can't swap chain and gear set

Kurt Wallis

Reaction score
TBI is EFI, but why do you want switch from a Gen 6 Vortec to a Gen 5 TBI engine?
The Gen5 engine I have is a low mileage engine that's in very good shape. The 1995 truck that I bought about 9years ago it was a new creat engine with paper work to prove it so I didn't think it was going to be that much trouble to swap them out. Plus it would save a lot of time. I am definitely going to rebuild it just wasn't planned on it now.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen5 engine I have is a low mileage engine that's in very good shape. The 1995 truck that I bought about 9years ago it was a new creat engine with paper work to prove it so I didn't think it was going to be that much trouble to swap them out. Plus it would save a lot of time. I am definitely going to rebuild it just wasn't planned on it now.
Is there a chance that the Gen5 engine has an aftermarket timing chain? If so, swapping back to the OEM style might help.

Another idea is to just put a carbureted intake on, HEI ignition and just run it that way for a while until you can get the Gen6 rebuilt.

I would think it’ll take some retuning of the black box ECU to get it to run well with the small Gen5 heads, cam in combination with the lower compression ratio and gen6 intake on top.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rebuild the gen six motor, or trade it in as a core on a reman short block. Sell the gen v block.

Reaction score
Your gonna lose your roller valve train and a ton of compression. You'd have an easier time removing the crank from gen5 to 6 block ‍♂️ and having the bad rod(s) honed and proper fitted bearings

81nascar

Reaction score
Your gonna lose your roller valve train and a ton of compression. You'd have an easier time removing the crank from gen5 to 6 block ‍♂️ and having the bad rod(s) honed and proper fitted bearings
Not to mention HP and torque.. I would do all I could to maintain the Gen6 . All that effort just to go backwards in the end you will probably be disappointed .