Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
before you read this i have no idea how to set up images so heres a link to this imgur account i just made so these red x's dont pop up sorry this screws up the whole post https://imgur.com/gallery/6dcJgB4

yes you read that right i converted my 1997 chevy tahoe 4door 4wd 5.7 to basically a silverado
why did i do it you might ask well the truck isnt worth much where i live and the condition its in so i didnt care about resale value and also i didnt want to buy another truck because im still in high school and dont have money for that right know. im not 100% sure but i might be the first person to do this.
hopefully i can help anyone else trying to do this and before i start no there has been no strange wiggle in the chassis or anything of that nature it drives completely the same minus a little louder obviously heres what i started with
You must be registered for see images
nothing out of the ordinary just a 4 door tahoe the result im currently at is this
You must be registered for see images
although its not fully completed i wanted to write this up

(also i should mention this was done with barn doors and they do get a little loose after this is completed i keep a rope holding them together just incase)

what you will need for this project
1 Reciprocating Saw
2 thick metal blades it took me about 8 ish it could be lower just depends if you kink them or not
3 any hardware necessary to take your interior out if you chose to part it out, if not cut away
4. also i used some cap offs for the wires i cut

getting prepared
you are go to need to remove you rear passenger windows simply take the panel off roll the window down all the way and then squeeze your wrench in the door and undo the two bolts then lift it out
your going to have to loosen or completely take off your interior panels because you need to pull the headliner out to disconnect/cap off some wires in this process dont forget to unscrew you highest mounting point for your seat belt as this will not exsist after you cut.
now that the headliner is out you can start disconnecting the wires i tore everything out that was on the ceiling these wires were for the very back ceiling mounted speakers and all the dome lights through out the vehicle the only problem i found is that it disabled the door lock button so now you will have to do it manually.
next (this can be done after if you would like) i took out the back seats and tore all the carpet up and then cut it right behind the drivers seat
i then grabbed a white paint marker and started drawing the cutting line. the body actually comes with a perfect indent to follow for the cut.

you are now ready to cut

i am not responsible for any damage done to your vehicle your tools or your self wear safety gear p.s. this is your last chance to back out after this you have to commit.

you do not want to cut this support bar this is a major part of the vehicle and will help you not get your skull crushed in, if you roll over.

the pillars are the hardest parts obviously just take your time i cut the roof last and i recommend you do to so you can keep vibration down it also helps to have someone holding the body panels your are cutting because its going to vibrate and no this vibration will or at least in my case not break any of the windows
umm i hope this is common sense but when cutting the roof make sure that your on the side you are not cutting so you dont fall through your truck after this you are ready to lift it off

after this you will be left with these gaps although i havent finished i plan on getting sheet metal and bending and then riviting it into the panels

i started mocking up a wall but it is not done yet but here is a picture i cut it out of the roof i removed its not a perfect fit but its pretty damn close im going to cut it down a little the gap will be filled with plexiglass or lexan which ever one i can find for cheaper
well that about it here are some more pictures i hoped this inspired/helped anyone thinking of something like this if you would like to follow this build heres my instagram: andrew___stevenson (three underscores)

You must be registered for see images attach