350 to 454 questions, Vapor canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alien

Reaction score
So when I bought my truck it came with a 5.7 tbi I wanted more from it but was offered a 454 wwith tranny so i jumped the gun since I always wanted a 454 and went a bit over my head. I took this pic from behind the distributor near the firewall and from ive found is that its a Mark IV 454. I dont know specifically from what it came from and if anyone can help me out it would be great.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is my carb sitting atop the 454. Classic Holley 750 CFM.

Currently I have a bad sense of smell so my wife helps me with any odor detection. She smelled fuel (non-burnt) inside the cab and I've deduced that it is coming from the fuel line that connects to the vapor canister. The mechanic that did my 350 tbi to carbed 454 swap didnt leave or connect my vapor canister. So it seems it leaks? fuel and from the heat of the engine its causing it to smell. I've read in another forum that another guy had a similar problem and he just added this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-E730310/) to the fuel line and went on his way. Thing is i dont want to bandaid the problem and cause pressure to build in the tank and blow myself up or cause parts flying everywhere. So problem is I would like to have the vapor canister reinstalled and wired correctly to remove the fuel smell and if PCV is the same as EVAP or different.
Thanks let me know if you need more info. ill post as soon as I can

Alien

Reaction score
So when I bought my truck it came with a 5.7 tbi I wanted more from it but was offered a 454 wwith tranny so i jumped the gun since I always wanted a 454 and went a bit over my head. I took this pic from behind the distributor near the firewall and from ive found is that its a Mark IV 454. I dont know specifically from what it came from and if anyone can help me out it would be great.

This is my carb sitting atop the 454. Classic Holley 750 CFM.

Currently I have a bad sense of smell so my wife helps me with any odor detection. She smelled fuel (non-burnt) inside the cab and I've deduced that it is coming from the fuel line that connects to the vapor canister. The mechanic that did my 350 tbi to carbed 454 swap didnt leave or connect my vapor canister. So it seems it leaks? fuel and from the heat of the engine its causing it to smell. I've read in another forum that another guy had a similar problem and he just added this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-E730310/) to the fuel line and went on his way. Thing is i dont want to bandaid the problem and cause pressure to build in the tank and blow myself up or cause parts flying everywhere. So problem is I would like to have the vapor canister reinstalled and wired correctly to remove the fuel smell and if PCV is the same as EVAP or different.
Thanks let me know if you need more info. ill post as soon as I can

Well as far as identifying the engine i haven't had any luck there but as far as the differential vent it seemed to solve the smell of fuel from the engine compartment. I will update this if anything seems to happen.