350 tbi smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warner

Reaction score
I've tried searching all over and couldn't find an answer. My truck started smoking literally overnight its blue smoke so i know it oil. It doesn't smoke on startup and it won't start smoking until its been running for a little bit and its ALOT of smoke (its rolling a ton of coal haha) and worse under acceleration but the weird part is it will come and go and will suddenly stop smoking for awhile then start up again. My first thoughts were that it was a bad a pcv valve so I put a new one in it helped a little. Im not losing any coolant or running hot so im not thinking its a head gasket or intake gasket? Im going to do a leak down test tomorrow but I didn't think rings could go bad that quickly? Also it will stop smoking when its 3/4 of a quart low. The truck runs great too so im lost. If you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/4 of a quart usually isn't enough to affect anything......... either valve seals or rings then.

By chance do you live in mn anywhere? Your screen name is my last name:lol: kinda creepy:lol:

Warner

Reaction score
Ya thats what i was thinking but i didnt think rings could go bad that quickly? and valves usually would smoke on start up ... haha no im in idaho. Warner's my last name too so don't be to creeped out lol

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With valves it all depends on how bad the seals/guides are worn. Other than that are you sure it's oil thats burning?

Warner

Reaction score
ya but the weird part is that it happend over night from no smoke at all to a ton? so i thought if it was rings or valves it would sort of gradually get worse but i dont know. Im pretty sure its oil because its basically an oil crack head now and performance and mpgs havent changed and coolant level hasn't changed.