350 TBI fuel start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just replaced the CTS took the truck out, drove around for 10 mins nicely, then it started to hesitate and die in the middle of the road. cranked it for 30 secs a few times, nothing. So pushed throttle to the floor and cranked it, it started but would die unless I gave it full throttle. Every time I'm at a red light, starting off again with light throttle would kill it so i had to floor it. Any other ideas?

Idle air control valve.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My trucks ignition module would work until the engine got hot then it would die and I would have a crank no start situation for 20+ mins until it cooled down. (new module, problem solved)

Otherwise, other ignition module problems have always been either it worked or didn't (in my experience)

I would put a couple bottles of HEET on the gas tank and check your cap and rotor for corrosion.

Joey223

Reaction score
I haven't tried the ignition module yet, I thought I read somewhere that if it wasn't working the truck wouldn't start. Plus I ran out of money, the next things I'll try will be the ignition module and coolant temp sensor. It does feel like the more the car runs the worse it gets. a lot of times after I change something out the car runs good, then I think its fixed and all of a sudden (5-15 minutes later) the truck begins to run like crap again. Thanks for the input fellas.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just replaced the CTS took the truck out, drove around for 10 mins nicely, then it started to hesitate and die in the middle of the road. cranked it for 30 secs a few times, nothing. So pushed throttle to the floor and cranked it, it started but would die unless I gave it full throttle. Every time I'm at a red light, starting off again with light throttle would kill it so i had to floor it. Any other ideas?
You replaced the ECT for the pcm and not the gauge right? Just making sure.

Is your issue anytime or just when it's up to temp/closed loop?

Another thing I would do would be to hop up in there (I love all the room under the hood ) and scour over all the vacuum lines. Check at the MAP sensor and where ever else. Those lines can have hairline cracks/or become brittle and break.

Joey223

Reaction score
So I replaced the ignition module and it helped a lot, It fires up fine and will start every time. It still the issue to where every time I went from park to drive or reverse, it would die. The next day I changed out the idle air control. That seemed to do the trick. It's been able to keep a solid idle and go from park to drive no problem. I'm still having an issue with it stuttering a little while I'm driving it. Its not bad, but its noticeable. At least I can safely drive my truck now. I'm guessing there could be an issue with the injectors, suggestions anyone? Here's a list of parts I've done so far, Ignition control module, CTS, IAC, alternator, fuel filter, coolant sender, PCM, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, TPS and valve cover gaskets.

Last edited:

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I replaced the ignition module and it helped a lot, It fires up fine and will start every time. It still the issue to where every time I went from park to drive or reverse, it would die. The next day I changed out the idle air control. That seemed to do the trick. It's been able to keep a solid idle and go from park to drive no problem. I'm still having an issue with it stuttering a little while I'm driving it. Its not bad, but its noticeable. At least I can safely drive my truck now. I'm guessing there could be an issue with the injectors, suggestions anyone? Here's a list of parts I've done so far, Ignition control module, CTS, IAC, alternator, fuel filter, coolant sender, PCM, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, TPS and valve cover gaskets.

Awesome, good to hear it's running a lot better. Too bad checking fuel pressure wasn't easier on the tbi trucks. Maybe the fuel pump is getting weak(just guessing )

Is The stuttering while accelerating, cruise or just every now and then it will stumble a bit?

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oreilly they r lifetime warranty now Delphi and airtex so go get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk