241 Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stumped…

Working on a ‘98 K2500. Trying to get the transfer case out but stuck on the last bolt. It’s a 241 behind a NV4500. I’ve got everything loose, expect for the bottom bolt, which is right above the the crossmember support/bushing. It’s a real bear, can’t get anything on it. Looking for the secret weapon here.

Thanks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure I used a wrench on my BW box? And don't recall having issues with my 243 either. Got a pic?

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, no Borg Werner…got one of those too, I don’t remember anything like this. I can maybe try in the morning for a picture but not sure it’ll help, nothing to see really, that thing is hidden!

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Come to think of it, last time my BW was out I pulled the transmission and transfer case together, which was also a NV4500. I would think they would all have the same 6 bolt round pattern?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im sure you are trying to keep from doing this though but only thing I can think is support the trans and pull the crossmember remove bolt and depending on how long its going to be out put crossmember back to hold trans up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Come to think of it, last time my BW was out I pulled the transmission and transfer case together, which was also a NV4500. I would think they would all have the same 6 bolt round pattern?

Not sure how you managed this with the torsion bar cross member?

Im sure you are trying to keep from doing this though but only thing I can think is support the trans and pull the crossmember remove bolt and depending on how long its going to be out put crossmember back to hold trans up.

This is likely what you're missing.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a feeling that may be the case. I was just hoping someone had some kind of mind trick to sneak that bolt out.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the transfer case out. Put a jack under the trans and slid the crossmember outta the way, piece of cake.

I am curious, when I cracked the t-case from the tranny there was a little fluid in there. Not much at all. Is that normal?

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trans output shaft seal is doing its job, should be nearly dry inside there. If you are mysteriously losing trans fluid in the future, that seal went back and sent it into that cavity.

Last edited:

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the transfer case all put back together and have it back in the truck with everything back in its place. I got to thinking though…I pulled the transfer case to do a slip yoke eliminator and am having a one piece driveshaft made. So now there’s no carrier bearing/support, meaning the transfer case is just hanging on with no more support, not that the carrier bearing support was a huge support but was some support for sure. I know trucks have been this way for years and years but was thinking about maybe building myself a tail housing support of some kind. Am I just overthinking it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf