22 inch transit wheels 4/6 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian_bob

Reaction score
Looking to run 22 inch transit wheels on a 4/6 drop. 1990 C1500 rclb converted to 6 lug if that makes a difference. Just wondering if there's any trimming needed to not rub . And if anyone on here has that setup or similar what size tires are yall running to make it work

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wish you luck.. I've let two sets of those wheels come in, and leave, my garage without mounting tires. I worry with a 4/6 you'll have to run such a short tire that the wheels are gonna be in constant danger of getting bent up. They're not the strongest. :(

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to Richard's comment, in my experience 35 series are pushing it, anything smaller and regular potholes will bend wheels.
Looks ****, but will be a problem if you can't fit more tire. They're weak because they were never designed to do anything more than roll on and off a transporter, or around a parking lot.

This is a 255/30/22 on a square crew cab 1 ton, normal interstate driving in Western Kentucky

You must be registered for see images attach

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Similar to Richard's comment, in my experience 35 series are pushing it, anything smaller and regular potholes will bend wheels.
Looks ****, but will be a problem if you can't fit more tire. They're weak because they were never designed to do anything more than roll on and off a transporter, or around a parking lot.

This is a 255/30/22 on a square crew cab 1 ton, normal interstate driving in Western Kentucky

You must be registered for see images attach
Oof. That's tough to see. Those look awesome though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of them with low profile tires and they're almost always bent to ****. :( I feel lucky I was able to score 2 sets that were still in decent shape, but I just couldn't bring myself to use them, knowing it would force me to slow down and drive like a sane person so I wouldn't bend them. As it is, I've got nice "tall" 285/45/22's on my Centerlines and I'm still nervous, since if I smash one up I can't buy a new one anymore.

So with all that said, it starts to look like if you wanna run rubber bands on big steel wheels you may want to cash up for some Detroit steel wheels as they're likely at least intended for actual road use vs. the GM transport wheels. They're a little pricey at $313/ea for 22x9 but as another bonus you can specify the backspacing from 3" to 4.5" ... I wonder if 4.5" is enough for a 22x9 on a dropped GMT400.

For a few extra bucks you can get 'em with rectangular holes in them like a squarebody Rally wheel. It's cool but to me they look weird in the larger diameters than stock.

Richard

Last edited: