2000 GMC K3500...This may take me awhile to finish!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 506 block used in 96 and later is crap. The rushed to compete with the powerstroke injection isn't much better. The later model cooling system is a bandaid on an overwhelmed system. The metal used in 6.5's isn't up to the task. If you want a cheap semi reliable 6.5, get a 93 with the mechanical injection, do the cooling upgrades, build some quality oil cooler lines and wire the lift pump to a relay.

I decided against the Optimizer because I would rather buy a rolled Cummins and do the swap or just drop an early long block in there untill I find the right donor truck.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah... i run all 93 6.5 motors in both my trucks and they are far superior in my opinion. And good call.. the biggest part in the swap will be the automatic transmission controller and i recommend US Shift. Very easy to install.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know maybe I made a mistake in buying this truck perhaps I should have just picked up an ECLB 350. But for now I am stuck as I can't afford to buy another truck. I'll decide between now and the income tax time and if I don't have any engine issues, cause I don't go peddle to the floor and run my vehicles into the ground or tow/haul 10k pounds, I'll drop a new transmission in this one . But if I do and then the motor craps out I'll just scrap it and move on cause a 454 would be pointless all I would be doing is driving around at 6-8 mpg for no reason. And a 350 in this huge ass truck would be about the same as a 454 mpg wise, at least for now I am averaging between 13-15mpg in town. Also I think I'll hold off on doing anything extra to it till I see if its going to even be reliable. I get mixed opinions as some say the newer blocks and such are better built and then some say that 6.5s in general have too many flaws to make them good motors. I did do my research before buying and took a gamble thinking how bad could it be and maybe I made a bad choice. I will make every effort possible to maybe build something good out of this. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

And who knows Jscott maybe you'll have a dually in your life.

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
OH no i'm by no means saying you bought the wrong truck haha. I love the big OBS crew cabs and i own 2 6.5's myself... I'm just rambling on about potential situations when you're down the road like i am... i like that truck a lot and as long as you keep it in good shape the 6.5 will last... there are lots of them still out there.

Actually DieselPlace is another forum that you should definitely sign up for as a 6.5 owner... tons of good advice over there if you ever DID have any issues.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OH no i'm by no means saying you bought the wrong truck haha. I love the big OBS crew cabs and i own 2 6.5's myself... I'm just rambling on about potential situations when you're down the road like i am... i like that truck a lot and as long as you keep it in good shape the 6.5 will last... there are lots of them still out there.

Actually DieselPlace is another forum that you should definitely sign up for as a 6.5 owner... tons of good advice over there if you ever DID have any issues.
I agree. I don't hate my truck but I did roll the dice and buy one. That is the problem with the 6.5, it is a gambling man's engine.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah I made sure I registered with dieselplace pretty much as soon as I bought the truck a couple years ago. I've spent countless hours reading posts over there for engine related fixes as well as places to buy products to make mine more reliable. Then I registered here because of all the great ideas to make my truck body and frame and such better.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Diesel place is probably the most technical forum there is.. lots of good info and guys with experience over there.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I've been thinking about wire management the past few days and was wondering for grounding purposes could I use a junction block on my fire wall grounded to the frame to ground my PCM and such? Or does it have to ground to the engine?

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the wife and I are going to go visit family for the 4th and have decided to take the beast and see how she does. It's not a long trip really just about 320 miles round trip. I'll let everyone know how she did when we get back so wish us luck lol