2000 GMC K3500...This may take me awhile to finish!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considered a 24v swap but then I look at the cost of parts like injectors and I think to myself no thank you $300+ per injector lol. Besides I don't need a power house just a work horse that can double as a family hauler when needed.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good move. I had 3 diesels before my 400 and they are ridiculous to maintain. Switching to my gas 454 left me with no regrets other than occasionally I miss the power. The last truck I owned was an 03 cummins and I owned it for 2 years. With the money is spent on maintenance and repairs in those 2 years I could have paid for my 400 in cash. I think it was like 10k. Funny you mentioned the injectors because I had to replace them and common rail injectors for 03+ are about 600 per when you get new Bosch models and not remans. With install and everything that repair alone was 3400 bucks... I did the same repair on my 454 and it was 450.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good move. I had 3 diesels before my 400 and they are ridiculous to maintain. Switching to my gas 454 left me with no regrets other than occasionally I miss the power. The last truck I owned was an 03 cummins and I owned it for 2 years. With the money is spent on maintenance and repairs in those 2 years I could have paid for my 400 in cash. I think it was like 10k. Funny you mentioned the injectors because I had to replace them and common rail injectors for 03+ are about 600 per when you get new Bosch models and not remans. With install and everything that repair alone was 3400 bucks... I did the same repair on my 454 and it was 450.

Exactly. I think I spent a grand total of $287 for all 8 injectors. Nothing fancy but not remans either. Hell the most expensive part aside from the motor itself is the IP and that was $1600 installed and all. By the time I'm done I'll have about $12k give or take a few hundred invested in the beast. After the first of the year the tranny is getting replaced then I'll do a full front end rebuild and work my way back from there. Then the interior will get redone or at least cleaned up really good. At some point I'll do the usual mods like LEDs and such but for now my main focus is drivability.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I think brycebba hit it best.. you can darn near buy a gas truck with the money wrapped up in a cummins...

that's why I'm content with leaving mine a 6.5, or swapping to a gas which is way easier and cheaper to maintain.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always wanted to drive a 6.5 or ride in one, I think they are cool. I miss getting double digit mpg haha. It's tempting to build for power but make sure you always remember reliability first.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's tempting to build for power but make sure you always remember reliability first.
This is exactly why I don't want to put a 6.5 back into it. I have a 104k pile of poo poo where an engine should be. There is no room in my life for something that isn't reliable.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
This is exactly why I don't want to put a 6.5 back into it. I have a 104k pile of poo poo where an engine should be. There is no room in my life for something that isn't reliable.

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I have a 93 6.5 crew cab, runs great. On the other hand my rust free 94 mechanical injected 6.5 has a motor with a cracked block, and I have an extra block, but do I really want to spend $3500-5000 rebuilding a 6.5 when I can swap the truck to a SBC for $2000-2500? I won't bash the 6.5's because I like them, but the parts are slightly too high in price for me to spend the extra $$ just to keep a diesel. I'd like to keep it a diesel, but a built 350 will put up just as much performance as the 6.5... at 60-70% of the cost.

And I don't think you get more reliable than a Chevy 350.... and cost plays a big role in it. Why put a $10k cummins in a $3k truck when I don't tow everyday and am on a limited budget.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong cause I love the poop outta the 350s and for me this is kind of a novelty I suppose we'll more of a childhood dream lol.Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the pre 97 6.5s where hideous for cracking heads due to the piss poor cooling system and I feel fortunate mine is still in good shape with an updated cooling system.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah... I think after 96 they thinned out everything and that's when they started having issues...

Honestly, If it runs great, keep it going and take care of it, don't overrun it and it will last for quite a while. The frustrating part is when you take care of it and the poor design fails you. Injection pumps, heads, crank, etc. Stuff you just don't run into as much with Chevy gas motors.

I've had fairly good luck overall with the 6.5's, but I've mostly dealt with the mechanical injection.

I think skylark got the optimizer if I'm not mistaken which is $$$$$$$$$$.