2 wheel and 4 wheel buttons won't stay lit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 GMC K2500 Classic. When I switch from two wheel to four on the dash buttons the four button lights up. After awhile none are lit up. Same thing happens when switching from four to two, after a while the two drive light goes out. The four wheel high, four wheel low, and 2 wheel drive are working when the buttons are pushed. They just don't stay lit.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are your interior lights turned on? Whenever you turn on your healights it turns all the dash lights on. Gauge cluster and whatever else. Maybe that’s why?

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 Tahoe does the same thing. If I push on or around the button it lights up but will go out after a while. I gave up on it.
All lights otherwise work as they should.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headlights don't seem to make a difference. Probably a grounding problem with the switch lights. Just wondering if this was a common problem.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
It’s a connection problem at the plug. I have to push on mine and it’ll light up which drive I’m in it’s just plastic on plastic type of problem and if you’ve ever seen inside of the dash you’ll know why also there’s a GAGILLION wires going to everything! Lol just 10ths of stuff in a 4lb bag. An it’s a common problem as far as I know but one I can deal with since I know lots of the qwerks of these gmt’s but all vehicles have something that’s not perfect but at least it’s not “broken” it’s just a qwerk.

Sprinter

Reaction score
My ‘98 Tahoe was doing the same thing a few years ago. I pulled the switch out of the dash and re-soldered all the solder joints on the printed circuit board, using a pencil tip soldering iron and additional solder. Put it all back together and has been working right ever since.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The dashes on the 800's are known for cold solder joints. They should teach the 6 year old Chinese kids to solder better!:biggrin:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 Tahoe does the same thing. If I push on or around the button it lights up but will go out after a while. I gave up on it.
All lights otherwise work as they should.
Same here in my 99-I push on the surroundibg and they stay lit on.