1999 Chevy k1500 5.7 Vortec oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0wxx and 5wxx are tricks the engineers use to meet EPA/CAFE standards for gas mileage, thinner oil means less drag for pumping = an extra .1 - .2 mpg gas mileage to make requirements. Whatever weight oil to make requirements is then printed in owners manual and on the oil cap for oil to use. In the owners manual is listed "severe duty" oil grades, use them, your engine will thank you.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that the "w" indicates how the oil performs when it is cold. It is not actually that viscosity when cold but behaves like a 0/5/10/15 weight oil would at a specified cold temperature, I think 32F. So your typical dino 10w-40 is actually pretty honey like when it's 5F outside. And there is a difference between synthetic & dino performance for a specified temp.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that the "w" indicates how the oil performs when it is cold. It is not actually that viscosity when cold but behaves like a 0/5/10/15 weight oil would at a specified cold temperature, I think 32F. So your typical dino 10w-40 is actually pretty honey like when it's 5F outside. And there is a difference between synthetic & dino performance for a specified temp.

At least 1 guy in this thread understands how oil works.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of trying to get the sending unit out in one piece, I’d be really tempted to swap in another cluster and see if that fixes it. If it does, swap the odometer over.

Sending unit location...

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped oil pressure sensors over in my dad's 4.3 Blazer without pulling the intake. It doesn't take rocket appliances.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get the pressure sensor with a couple wrenches. They're cheap, definitely the place to start of your not mechanically checking.