1999 C2500 Windshield Wipers Not Going Down Far Enough At Rest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking at many pictures and actual GMT400 trucks on the road, I notice that my windshield wipers seem to stop at rest several inches too high. The truck is new to me, so I don't know what the configuration was in 1999. While they are not significantly blocking my view, I was wondering if there is any easy fix that does not involve disassembling too much. I've had the wipers off to reposition, but unlike my '66 Chevy El Camino, these wiper arms have a slot for a tab on the gear, so they only go on one way, and can't be rotated counterclockwise on the gear. That would have been too easy! Anyone out there fix this minor annoyance? Thanks to any folks who have thoughtful ideas . . . . P

You must be registered for see images attach

dwragon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They may be the wrong arms, the motor could be out of time / wrong one or the circuit could be being interrupted. If it has a delay module, it could be bad. Any time I have wiper problems I run a ground from the case, which floats on rubber bushings, because corrosion or malfunction can interrupt the ground. You certainly need to fix it because them being up is costing you in wind resistance/gas milage, and are probably in your line of sight (Plus look goofy.). For the most aerodynamic truck GM ever made, it baffles me that they didn't put the wipers under the cowl or under the hood.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
I know very little about the subject but do recall reading that others have had this issue.

Seems to be some directions here for adjusting / repositioning them.

Best of luck.

Edit, if you do take things apart, you might want to add a dab of silicone to one or two of those screws on the passenger side when reassembling, one of those screw holes have a tendency to leak water which winds up in the heater box assembly and on the passenger side floor.

Read here.

Been there, done that.

Last edited:

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen, and thank you DarkImage and Matt for the link. I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly!! The wipers are now in a much better position. See pics below for the linkage you can adjust to do this. I'll only add that one must be very careful, even gentle, when removing all the plastic componentry. Do not ask me why I say this . . . . .P

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work. I need to do that to my truck as well. The black plastic cowl falls apart easily. One thing that I will add, make sure your washer still shoots on both sides. It is very easy to pinch the hose when re-installing the cowl and then have the joy of taking it all apart again. And don't ask me why i say this.......

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When wipers switch to off the lower position is or was called, the wipers being in the "park " position.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure you put silicone on that screw over HVAC box once you removed it-you don't want the leak.
Hey Darius, I'm not sure what it is you are referring, but would like to know. Can you shoot over a quick picture of this screw location? Will do. Thanks man. P

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work. I need to do that to my truck as well. The black plastic cowl falls apart easily. One thing that I will add, make sure your washer still shoots on both sides. It is very easy to pinch the hose when re-installing the cowl and then have the joy of taking it all apart again. And don't ask me why i say this.......
That is EXACTLY what happened to me! Then I broke the nozzle. But I got an exact replacement from Dorman the next day. Too funny. Thanks. P