1999 5.7 350 vortec P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a silly question but there is no reason I can’t take both valve covers off right? I’m pretty sure both sides are leaking oil. Also I believe my valve covers are leaking oil at the bolts on top. Do the bolts need a gasket of some sort or a new washer?
One is all that’s NEEDED but both is helpful. No reason not to take them both off. Yep there’s a tiny rubber gasket on the bottom of the washer. They’re supposed to come with your valve cover gasket kit.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a bit of an intermission here is some photos of my truck over the years in Southern California. My state is a dumpster fire to live in but the weather and scenery are nice.

Also the original window sticker from my suburban.

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 9

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valves covers off, fuel lines disconncted, and ac accessory bracket loosed enough to get the bolt off.

The valve covers feel like plastic?

I tried to clean and vaccum as much dirt and muck off as I could around the valves but some loose dirt did get in there.
Is that a worry ?

Also how do I remove the oil fill tube from the valve cover.

Attachments

• IMG_6393.jpeg
    IMG_6393.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6396.jpeg
    IMG_6396.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 10

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The valve covers feel like plastic?
Stamped sheetmetal, mostly.

I tried to clean and vaccum as much dirt and muck off as I could around the valves but some loose dirt did get in there.
Is that a worry ?
Ideally, you'd get ALL the debris out of there, before the engine is run again.

Also how do I remove the oil fill tube from the valve cover.
Kinda thinking it's crammed into a rubber grommet. I could be wrong--never played with a Vortec small-block. Pull HARD. But why are you taking it out?

Last edited:

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stamped sheetmetal, mostly.

Ideally, you'd get ALL the debris out of there, before the engine is run again.

Kinda thinking it's crammed into a rubber grommet. I could be wrong--never played with a Vortec small-block. Pull HARD. But why are you taking it out?
it leaks oil really bad from there, it has an Oring you can replace.

How can i get the small specs of dirt i got in there out? I tried vaccum or a rag but i cant get it all.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got everything back together, but it won’t start, put the dizzy in exactly as it came out but it was cranking strong but back firing so I swapped the dizzy 180* still nothing.