1999 454 running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Parks

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 1999 k2500 ccsb with a 454. I just bought it this year and it’s been running really rich since I had it. I replaced the O2 sensors, replace all in injectors with a new fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, new fuel filter, new fuel tank with a new fuel pump, then I replace the rotor, cap, and plugs with a msd kit and gapped the spark plugs at .45. New map sensor, new sensors on the throttle body, pcv valve.
For performance I block off the EGR route66 off eBay, it has some Gibson shorty headers and the Cats were already cut out.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome!

Is the computer tuned for the Headers, EGR delete and cat delete?

Dusty Parks

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, I never had experience with tuning before. What would you recommend me to tune the truck?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Curious though, how exactly do you know it's running rich? You need to tune the EGR out if you've removed it to avoid pinging at part throttle but nothing you've listed should cause the truck to run rich all the time.

Dusty Parks

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can really smell the gas and it honestly doesn’t sound right. It was still running rich before I took the EGR off and the only difference I seen since I just got the motor back together is that it cranks up a lot better and one injector wasnt firing.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd almost be willing to bet that the rich smell you're getting is just from the lack of cats in the exhaust. I would hook up a scanner and monitor live data to make sure you're actually running rich before you throw any money at that issue. You're still going to need a tune regardless to prevent damage if you leave the EGR blocked off but it feels like there's something else going on here.

Dusty Parks

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed black bear today and gonna look into tuning the truck. It’ll be my first time doing something like this.

Dusty Parks

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd almost be willing to bet that the rich smell you're getting is just from the lack of cats in the exhaust. I would hook up a scanner and monitor live data to make sure you're actually running rich before you throw any money at that issue. You're still going to need a tune regardless to prevent damage if you leave the EGR blocked off but it feels like there's something else going on here.
So I learned something about the truck today. I unplugged the driver side O2 sensor and the truck is not running rich or smoking. The exhaust leak is coming from the bottom where the headers runners meet together.