1998 K2500 5.7 misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agent319

Reaction score
The coil is basically the heart of the ignition system. It provides spark for every plug. If it's shorted out or weak, it won't work properly and cause a miss.

If it's shorted out or weak would I be getting arc at the spark plug boots like I'm getting?

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can still put sparks out, but may not be strong enough.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not use the dia electric. Is that really important? If it was why didn't AC-Delco send some with it?

Delco wires used to come with it already in the boots....the last few times ive bought them though...they didnt have any in there...im thinking that now since our trucks are old that GM is out sourcing their parts...but to answer the question...I always use die electric grease.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perform your coil test again, and clean the terminal very well this time to prevent any corrosion causing excess resistance. A fueling issue is still a very real possibility and a KOEO and KOER fuel pressure test will give you a general idea of the state of your fuel system. Also, have the ignition module checked, as it could potentially be a problem. Be sure they run several passes on it, to make sure it doesn't become erratic when loaded for any length of time.

agent319

Reaction score
Perform your coil test again, and clean the terminal very well this time to prevent any corrosion causing excess resistance. A fueling issue is still a very real possibility and a KOEO and KOER fuel pressure test will give you a general idea of the state of your fuel system. Also, have the ignition module checked, as it could potentially be a problem. Be sure they run several passes on it, to make sure it doesn't become erratic when loaded for any length of time.

OK the coil test again showed 0.4 ohms and the manual said it should be 0.1. Per manual it says it's bad. Odd. I couldn't find a procedure for checking the ignition control module. Any ideas on that? And I'll have to purchase a fuel pressure tester to check that.

agent319

Reaction score
Ok, I went to O'reilly and had them pull a new coil from the shelf and I had my ohm meter with me and it read the same as my coil. Next I used their fuel pump tester to test my fuel pressure. Pressure came in at 63 psi. Anyone else have any ideas?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
So from 'plug boots to the cylinder head? I'd replace the boots.

Brand new Omni-Spark came recommended. How can Omni-Spark make a product that arcs like that? Odd

It's it (crack) at the 90° bend on the 'boots?
I'm running MSD, couldn't be happier!

Device: INC2
ROM: CyanogenMod-9

agent319

Reaction score
I've done a lot of research on this forum and many guys are having the same issue and what I have found is it's the AC-Delco spark plugs. Everyone is moving to either Autolite or NGK. I have the AC-Delco in mine and I'm pulling them and I wish I had my receipt from O'reilly for these. By the way anyone know what these need to be gapped at?