1998 GMC Yukon t-case swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What t case can I put in my 98 Yukon? Currently has auto 4x4 ( can't remember which t-case #that is) but there r two problems. One the tccm is bad ( assumption made because my $20k snap on zues cannot communicate with it, all fuses good , inspected wiring and plugs) , if that was only issue if just get a reman tccm, but the issue is compounded because before I ever out my hands on it the front drive shaft was removed and now the slip socket is too rusted ( and boogered up from what I was told that someone had tried to force the front shaft in with a sledge hammer) to accept the front drive shaft. I don't want to rebuild the tcase AND buy a tccm, I have access to many manual floor shift tcases and was wondering how much headache that would involve or if it is even worth it.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They used the 241, 243 and 246. 241 is manual shifter, 243 is push button version, and last is the auto crap, er mean autotrac, which is prolly what you have. The simplest is to get another 246. I say easiest because if you replace that with the 241, then you have to rewire the harness, which I guess isn't terrible, but if not done right then it won't work properly. Your not just pulling back on the shifter to get the t-case in 4wd, it also locks the front end in. There are still a **** ton of the 246s out there, along with the push button panel.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They used the 241, 243 and 246. 241 is manual shifter, 243 is push button version, and last is the auto crap, er mean autotrac, which is prolly what you have. The simplest is to get another 246. I say easiest because if you replace that with the 241, then you have to rewire the harness, which I guess isn't terrible, but if not done right then it won't work properly. Your not just pulling back on the shifter to get the t-case in 4wd, it also locks the front end in. There are still a **** ton of the 246s out there, along with the push button panel.
I have another autotrak t case needs rebuilt, but I also need a tccm . Honestly the r case probably works fine just can't get the front driveshaft into the t case socket, it's not just u joint straps like all the other t cases, it's a slip yoke so from not having a shaft in it for years it has rusted and now basically needs to be replaced. That's why I was asking what would be best t case to swap in just because I have access to a handful of the manual shift t cases, I know I'd have to add a plug for the actuator switch but that's easily done.