1998 Chevy c3500 hd brake light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First off, hello everyone from knoxville, tn. Here is my issue, what i have done, and what ive tried, and still cant fix my problem. HELP please.

With everything hooked up properly, heres what happens:
all lights in and on the front of the truck work
no tail lights, no signals, no flashers, nor brake lights.
with the key on or off, the right brake light only lights up and stays on constantly.
the only way to make it go off, with key on or off, is to turn the right turn signal on.

at this time, the brake light relay is very warm to the touch.

NOW

Pull the brake light relay out, and EVERY light on the truck operates 100% correctly. EXCEPT for i have no brake lights. All the tail lights work, the turn signals work, and the hazards work.

i have watched every video and read every where i can find, and found many wiring diagrams, and followed the instructions. It appears, that the brake lights have a constant power supply, and when you put the relay in, it deadheads per say, and they go crazy. i have installed a brand new brake light switch and it did NOT fix anything.. All of the same happened..

I traced the wires, back to under the hood, and it seems, that the wire that controls the brake lights, has power every where i check it.. I then check the fuse box where the brake relay goes, and 2 terminals have power, and 2 do not.

When you put the relay in, it clicks immediately and stays that way. Meaning i should only have one power source here at the relay center or, the relay is being deadheaded with power. I then go up and under the dash, and start checking everything and it is spotless. Everything looks perfectly clean.

I should NOT have a constant power at the brake light/turn signal when i test it at the rear of the truck, but i do.. and im guessing that, with the relay in, it tries to send more power. i have unplugged it at the harness on the firewall and it has power to a wire that should not. i can pull all the fuses, and it still shows power.

No trailor brake harness is on the truck.

tried new relays and nothing.

HELP please. this is my daily driver..

Also, can i get around this huge brake switch and just put on a 2 wire switch like vehicles use to have lol

Thanks T