1997 5.7 Vortec won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
When it coughs is this with or without the starting fluid? And does the fluid improve it at all?

As aloicious said, a fluctuation in fuel pressure if as little as 5psi can make a lawn ornament out of your truck

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it coughs is this with or without the starting fluid? And does the fluid improve it at all?

As aloicious said, a fluctuation in fuel pressure if as little as 5psi can make a lawn ornament out of your truck
Spraying the carb cleaner in the tb didn't seem to make a difference to it's effort to start. I noticed it coughing the very first time I tried to start it. It coughs very slightly though.

After the attempt with the carb cleaner, my girlfriend was cranking so I could test for spark, I was on the 6th plug and the carb cleaner actually coughed back out of the tb...

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
The back cough is likely just a result of the missing wire...

A crank sensor will cause a no spark issue, cam sensor, no fuel...

You have both, just not at the correct time or quantity... I'm leaning towards a weak pump, clogged filter at this point...

Did you ever have any starting issues leading up to this?

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Every once in a while, and I mean pretty rarely, the truck would need a little convincing to start up.

I guess a fuel problem is possible. I just never suspected it.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just went out the truck to try to start it and the tb coughed up carb cleaner again. I don't know. I guess I've got to check fuel pressure

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how loud is your fuel pump? My friend and I changed his pump in his 98 Suburban last Friday after it could not do more than 8 mph. Pump screamed louder than his engine could. Could not even rev it to 2K with out the engine fall flat on its face. 2.5 hours later and the truck had more power than it did over the past year. New pump is so quiet that with out crawling under the truck we could not hear it run.

If you can easily hear your pump it is more likely that it is faulty.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sitting in the drivers seat with the door open or the window down, you can hear it loud and clear.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Every once in a while, and I mean pretty rarely, the truck would need a little convincing to start up.

I guess a fuel problem is possible. I just never suspected it.
You can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge for around 20 bucks at Autozone iirc... Or you can go straight to the pump and filter...

It may also be a spider/fpr issue though. Currently my own fpr is leaking, causing "flooded" symptoms in my truck

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge for around 20 bucks at Autozone iirc... Or you can go straight to the pump and filter...

It may also be a spider/fpr issue though. Currently my own fpr is leaking, causing "flooded" symptoms in my truck
I bought one from them to hook up to the fuel test port but returned it when I realized it wouldn't open the Schrader valve. Now I guess I should've kept it lol.