1996 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forum here, and a recent purchaser of my first full size Chevy of this generation.
I recently purchased my 1996 K2500 Suburban from the original owner. He had taken pretty good care of it over the 19 years he owned it, but apparently didn't do too much in the way of keeping it from rusting.

The body is really in typical condition for a 19 year old from SE Michigan. The Frame and all the Body mounds look pretty good, but it's starting to get a little crusty on the bottom of the doors... and the rockers and lower rear quarters... they've seen better days, what is left of them anyway.

Aside from the color, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for; a 3/4 ton. 7.4L, auto trans, cloth interior, and manual transfer case.
I hope to keep it in good working order, and not spend my last time on gas for the thing... LOL

Here are some pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

I've only done a few things so far, I think they're "improvements."
I added the lower bumper valance that was missing, and yesterday had a pretty successful trip to the local boneyard. I found some TopKick door hands... with the keys! There was only one working lock cylinder when I got the Suburban, and it was on the passenger side.

It needs a few things, I hear a front wheel bearing, steering is kind of loose, and there is definitely something rattling in the front end over any kind of bumps. On the way home tonight... one of the rear brake lines broke... So that would be the next repair I'll have to make.

Thanks for checking out my post!
Smitty

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Wish my Suburban was a 2500, glad I bought a Southern truck as my first vehicle, things get crusty quick back north. Look forward to see more updates!

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, very crusty!
I was thinking about buying something from down around my brothers house in Southern TN... but the price was right on this one I think. It also seems difficult to find 4x4s down around his place...
...maybe I'll learn how to do body work and get this one looking nice again, but I kind of like the rough and tumble look this one currently has! LOL

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the welcomes! I greatly appreciate it.
How about everyone that said hi post a pic of their truck/Suburban? I'd really like to see them.
Smitty