1995 GMC Suburban k1500 chassis grounds turned to dust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burbangmc

Reaction score
I bought a 95 GMC Suburban k1500 about a year ago. It needed a rear differential rebuild. Got it done but the truck is having some stuttering at take off. power surges when the blinkers blink , new battery, alternator. Gas gauge pegs to way past full, temperature display surges . I was going thru the grounds on the intake and all are corroded but the chassis grounds are all brittle and turn to dust . And the lockout isn't working either and direction would be great.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you in the coastal area of Florida? Is corrosion from atmospheric salt spray bad there? Or is this a northern truck you just bought?

If it's a truck you just bought and don't know the history, I would honestly recommend that you remove the entire wiring harness, inspect it and replace any wiring that's damaged. Splice any wires with solder and heat shrink and put new loom and it will be just like new.

Chasing intermittent problems caused by electrical issues is a pain, especially because wires may look okay.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean the battery terminals well and make sure they're tight enough that you can't wiggle the terminal side to side. If you don't care about keeping it factory original, cut off the battery terminal ends and switch to top post.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Grounds are critical, it seems like you understand they're important but just in case there is any doubt - you should absolutely start by inspecting and repairing every ground you can find, then chase any persistent electrical problems afterwards.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
heres what I did.... I made and ran all new 4 gauge grounds to the 2 main spots as the negative to fender ground was perfect.... next is firewall under the heater core to the frame below and then from that same spot up through a heat shield to the back of the passenger side engine block, this spot is a bìtch to see and work on but not impossible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes start by inspecting and testing all grounds, they're known to be problematic on these trucks.
Do you know how to load test a ground? A headlight bulb serves as a great test light for this.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I bought a 95 GMC Suburban k1500 about a year ago. It needed a rear differential rebuild. Got it done but the truck is having some stuttering at take off. power surges when the blinkers blink , new battery, alternator. Gas gauge pegs to way past full, temperature display surges . I was going thru the grounds on the intake and all are corroded but the chassis grounds are all brittle and turn to dust . And the lockout isn't working either and direction would be great.

I've seen ground straps on ebay/Amazon.... buy your length and bolt size needed.

What is the "lockout" you mention?