1994 Z71 Rebuild. DD/Mud truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
G'day everyone! im new to this forum, being sick of chirpy keyboard warriors on pirate, ill share my build here. hopefully, someone will appreciate the work ive done.
Anyways, i started this build mid summer last year, when i inherited this truck from my dad. he bought a brand new 09 Silverado and had no need for it. it started out as a rusted, oil burning POS, and i accepted the costly challenge having no money or a job. This is what it looked like at the start

You must be registered for see images attach

I started on some needed interior work. the seats where disgusting and the carpet was brown, originally it was blue. surprisingly i didnt catch some f'd up disease out of that thing, but hey, no complaints! at the end of the summer, i bought a parts truck for $500. rust free box (which was needed since mine was falling apart) and 2 good rust free fenders. I got the one off, and put on

It was about a week until i started taking off the other one. i got a few bolts off and then one broke. i didnt have a working torch that day so i waited another week until i could get some more gas for it. i woke up the next day to find the perfect rust free fender, kicked in. the doors, kicked in. the ext. cab, kicked in. and the box, kicked in. i knew who did this, some f*cked up drunk ass retards that live at the end of my road. they sometimes trespassed onto my property for no reason at night, id usualy just fire off my 22 and theyd be scared off, but that night i was passed out before they got there. so, i had to order a new fender and inner fender. and while i was at it, some fuel lines and cab corners since they were also needed. after the order got delivered, i got workin on it right away! i got the fender and inner fender put on in a few hours, i also replaced the hood since it was starting to rust through in a couple places.

Im planning on getting a chevy grille cause i just hate the look of the GMC Grille. I got the box off shortly after the fenders were replaced.

i was planning on welding the cab corners on, then getting the box on, but a big snowfall set me back. I started on the fuel lines in the dead of winter for some f'd up reason, but i was determined. i got the rear fuel lines replaced, was about to fire it up when the fuel pump pushed too much pressure through the lines, and poked a few holes in the front lines. so, ty luck to me! i didnt want to wait for another shipment to get here, so i started on the engine. i didnt have much money to do the whole engine, so i started with the heads, and later when the engine s out, i want to swap in a 6BT. anyways, i got the heads off, and holy , so.. much.. carbon!

There was also an antifreeze leak in the one cylinder, and i havent gotten to the part of checking for cracks in the heads, so im hoping for a gasket leak! i got them apart, put in the hot tank, got em cleaned up and all i need to do is bead blast them then check for cracks. im hopin to god that the leak is not a cracked head, if so. ****!!! more money i dont have

After all that body work and engine work, i was left with little to do in the winter. so i got thinking, instead of carpet, how about bedliner? researched it a bit and found that a lot of people who have done it liked their decision. i went and picked up a quart of dupli color bed armor. it went down pretty easily, but it came out thin. i noticed as i looked back in the can and there was still a lot of thick stuff left. i didnt have the amount of time to wait and let it dry, so i gave it to my brother so he could roll some on the floor of his 4runner. of course, i paid and he got the better coat. i bought some more, but the weather has turned to and became cold as f*ck. way to cold to do another coat.This is the floor before

And this is what it looks like after 1 coat

that was a few weeks ago, and over the march break i cranked the torsion keys to i could level it out. out of the stock keys i got 2 inches of lift and its pretty tall in the front now, it levels out with about .5 inches taller in the back, but i cant check fender height until i get the box back on.
After the crank, left side

I cranked it a bit more after that, and it still has some cranking left in er

Lately, i havent really done anything on it. my buddy had a tailgate layin around, so he gave it to me. i bondo'd some rust on it, and let it sit over night. it looked like this in the morning

and after all the sanding

I got it on, and i can actualy say, ive never had a tailgate that can open then close then open again without having to push the handle back in

I didnt have any tires once i get it fully lifted, so i was lookin online for the cheapest place to get some. my buddy ended up switching his 35's to 33's and didnt have a use for his 35's anymore, so i bought em for $40! They are 35x12.50R16 Delta Serradials, and they arent great mud tires, but theyll do until i can get some money saved up for some tsl's or something.

Got em out of the basement, and to my truck (unmounted) and checked how much space i have. they almost clear with just the torsion crank and they arent even on rims yet

I got another coat of bedliner done, and it turned out pretty good! looked good, and was really strong.

I got the interior back in once it fully dried, and after an hour or so, got all the seats fully aligned and bolted on

That comes to last week. the last bit of work ive done was get the steering wheel on. its a Superior Performance Parts "The 500" which i got for free off a boat we salvaged a few years ago. its worth some bit around $400 so i didnt do too bad!

Dont worry, i know theres not center cap on there! im using an air powered transport horn as the DD horn, so im running a pull cord. I checked with the MTO (Ministry of transportation Ontario) and they said it would be legal as long as "A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise" so, its all good. That sums up where i am. ill update as much as possible. got any questions? PM me about them! sorry about the long ass OP, but thanks for checking it out! I plan to finish the body work (Cab corners, box back on) and lift it hopefully before paint, so i can get it done before the mud bogs and enter it! if i can get the paint done, bonus! until the next update, peace out!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Small Update!

I dont have enough money for a cold air intake, so i decided to spruce up mine and make it look better. Painted it gloss black like the old stock air cleaners off muscle cars. Came out pretty good for a couple hours of work!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Another Update!

I couldnt work on my truck until i got the engine out of my scrap truck cause i was sellin it, so i got to work. a few days of tear-down, and a day of pullin. its finally out. so many damn wires. i sold the engine to a truck racer for $300, then i sold the trans, fuel pump, bumper, and window for $250. paid $500 for the truck, already got my money back! so basically, i got the box, FR fender, rear bumper, and FR inner fender for free!

This is the wired mess called the 1998 4.3L Vortec

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Update!

The other day me and my buddy went up to his farm to check out some sh*t and see if there was some old stuff that i could buy off him or get for free. Found these old gems and i got em for free! No need to buy rims anymore!

Today, i got outside and the winds were a blowin! (If you dont watch Trailer park boys, you will have no clue what the f*ck im talkin about) and it was cold as hell. thought i wouldnt work, but i was determined for some reason. Got half way through jacking it up and the scissor jack i was using buckled, almost fell on me and now its in the scrap pile. got the other one from my scrap truck, and it worked fine. got the jack stands under it and cranked the torsions to the bitter end! got another .5 inches out of em, and the front fenders are both at 38'' exact.

Took another pic from the front, and it looks pretty solid. got the Rough Country sticker on the windshield and the confederate flag license plate. Soon to be Chevy Militia sticker i hope! if you have no clue what chevy militia is, i suggest you google them right now!

Hopefully going to get the engine done next! also got some front fuel lines off the scrap truck that was desperately needed for me.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Update!

Today, went and picked up some gravel guard from my local hardware store to do the grill. came out pretty good, and looks pretty damn nice.

im now contemplating doing my whole truck in it. not too sure though, it would be a lot cheaper than a pro paint job though! and itd look pretty damn sick

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Got the grill on today, looks pretty sick. not too sure if im going to paint the truck grey, or all bedliner... decisions...

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Started to work on the heads again today. checked them for cracks and got them bead blasted. sorry, no pics! but ill have some once i get them re-dressed and when i get them back on. since the weather is getting nicer, should be able to get the cab corners on and the box on. once all thats done, itll be ready for some muddin! ive decided im not going to body lift it. too much work for something that looks like sh*t. so, im going to keep it mostly stock height (cept for cranked torsions of course!) until ive gathered enough parts for a SAS. once i do that, ill be runnin 35s-38s!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Well, ive decided im going to body lift it. i might not be done sooner than i would, but since i got a job ill be able to afford it! one thing that im probably not going to be able to afford is gas! damn gas prices, at 1.29/Liter where i am. its been all the way up to 1.35 but its worse in some other places. well, i basically have everything i need. except the body lift. ill be working on it a lot more once i get the heads done and the fuel lines in, cause ill actualy be able to drive it around and not need to tow it around with our plow truck. If its nice this weekend, ill be replacin some fuel lines! yippee... i guess... not the funnest thing but its worth gettin done. i also got a horn button for my truck since i sketchily set up the steering wheel!

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Update! I got the good box off, although i need to do a little rust repair... ! but, oh well. ill be able to do it once i get some metal. i plan to get the cab corners done next weekend if we can get the scrap truck out of here. anyways, this is how we got the box off. it worked quite well, didnt fold or anything.

Last edited:

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Small update!

i got the newish bumper on,since itd be a ***** to put on with the box on. i havent been able to work on it much since i have drivers ed after school. really only doing it to get the 4 months off the waiting period and the little bit off my insurance.. its bullsh*t though. ahaha i got a little work done since i got the bumper on. only took a couple minutes, but hey! its a bit done.