1994 Sierra 1500 stalled in road and won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simonphelps08

Reaction score
I hope I'm putting this in the right place...
and hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction.

I was driving my 1994 Sierra 1500 and it started to sputter like it was running
out of gas. This happened for about 3 seconds then it stalled. I tried restarting
but it only cranks strong without any sign of turning over.
I got the truck towed home and over the past 1.5 weeks I replaced the fuel
pump, EGR and less than a year ago I put in a fuel filter. The truck still won't
start.

Is this enough information to know what the problem is? This wasn't a problem
that was building and getting worse. The truck ran fine until It stalled in the
middle of the road and now it won't start.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the pump turning on?? Kick the **** outta the tank with the key on, it can’t hear the pump...

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard to tell based on just one symptom, but I'd check fuel pressure make sure that's in spec before checking for spark. Sputtering sounds like a fuel related issue, but spark could cause it as well. May have fried the contacts on the distributor cap, or lost connection to the coil. Might've even lost the distributor gear. You're going to have to find more information before you find an answer.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping someone would have a really good idea of what it was without me needing to check for spark and I could just get the part and fix the problem. Will a OBD 1 let me know the problem if the engine light is on?

Seriously?! Your truck died and you're unwilling to lift a finger and narrow it down to fuel or spark? I'm done here.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You kids are so nasty, like my grandma when she got into the Whiskey. Yet she lived to 99yrs on plane earth,