1993 4L80E - How to use properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have been told that transmissions in the 2000s are a lot smarter than in the 90s. Was taught to select the gear for my application AKA dont just put it in OD and tow a 10k trailer.

Was reading this in the owners manual and below is an excerpt

Code:
OD should not be used when towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, [b]driving
on steep hills[/b], or for off-road driving. Select D (third gear) when operating the
vehicle under any of these conditions.

D (Third Gear)
This is like OD, but you never go into Overdrive. You should use D when
towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, driving on steep hills, or for off-road
driving.

Do you guys do this or just leave it in OD? I want my tranny to last and dont mind revving it a bit to take the load off. Also, what is considered a steep hill lol?

Sorry for the dumb question I just want my truck to last.

I always leave my truck in D and only shift to OD when I am going above 45 MPH and when it is relatively flat and highway.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would shift mine down to D when towing my ski boat anywhere in the mountians (love going to Smith Lake, near jasper alabama, and there are some very steep hills in the area. I'd just pull it down whenever it got hilly enough to make it start shifting down regularly. I got a nv4500 now, so i just run 5th and don't worry about it. As far as having a 4l80, it would probably be fine to put 10K behind it, slap it in OD, and go on your way. They are very tough, but heat kills transmissions, and constant shifting up and down creates heat.

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another question,

My vehicle tops at about 140km/hr (80 mph). At this point I am almost redlining the engine. Is it bad for the vehicle to go this fast? What is the general rule of thumb, avoid going above 3krpm? It kind of sucks having 4.11 gears since if I want to go above 70 mph I feel like I am killing the engine.

What do you guys with 4.11's coast at?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Another question,

My vehicle tops at about 140km/hr (80 mph). At this point I am almost redlining the engine. Is it bad for the vehicle to go this fast? What is the general rule of thumb, avoid going above 3krpm? It kind of sucks having 4.11 gears since if I want to go above 70 mph I feel like I am killing the engine.

Sounds like you need bigger tires

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude that doesn't answer my question. Its like saying 'you need 3.73 gears'

Anyone else?

Thanks

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Another question,

yes that would be bad to be cruising at redline :badidea:

1 wouldnt want to cruise over 2500 rpm personally. When in D going up the mountain pass i run her at 2800-3000 but only going up the pass at 10,000 ft..

everyone will have a different cruising rpm because of many factors.

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes that would be bad to be cruising at redline :badidea:

1 wouldnt want to cruise over 2500 rpm personally. When in D going up the mountain pass i run her at 2800-3000 but only going up the pass at 10,000 ft..

everyone will have a different cruising rpm because of many factors.
I agree i took a drive this morning empty with 16 ft trailer my truck is a 5.7 4l80e with 3.73 unloaded it cruises in od at 16 to 1700 rpm with 17 inch wheels and 315/70/17 tires with empty trailer . Loaded with a 1957 Ih 3/4 4x4 ton truck on the straights loaded with this i run about 1900- 2300 on hills about 2500 to 2800 .. truck has air bag helpers in rear with on board air so you i guess you have account for that also .. Cause i air the up to help with the big tires I have tached 3 grand on jelico mountain going into tennessee but around her locally no really big spots to worry about

DieselDetroit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a diesel and at 70mph I'm already near 3000 rpm and my engine maxes out at 3500.

Any frequent diesel trucks with 4.10 gears here who can comment? I don't think doing this regularly would be good for the engine. I think I have to just slow down and get used to it?

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you need bigger tires
This is actually about the only way your gonna bring down your RPM and keep 70mph unless you regear your rear end. Mine is a 6.5 with 4:10 gears and I just stay between 60-65 to keep mine at a reasonable RPM. 4:10 gears aren't made for speed they are made for torque.