1992 K1500 automatic won't shift out of first gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, Merry Christmas! Hope everyone's holidays are going well. I'll jump right into it then. I live in Alabama and we've been swept with rain so we took to the field. We were out mudding last night in the farm truck and everything was going fun until the truck stalled out. After letting it sit for a minute it started on the first try. We stopped real quick after that and took it home. Next morning woke and decided to make sure everything was okay and got on the road and the truck would not shift out of 1st gear. Later my dad got it in and took it down the road and the truck died and wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. Lights and all worked. Everything else seems to work like the 4x4 and the reverse when the truck was on earlier. I assume I wouldn't have noticed it not shifting driving it back to the house last night being in a muddy field and all. Nothing was overheated or sounded strange. We're both pretty novice on things like this, what do you guys think happened? Much appreciated and happy holidays.
5.7 350 190K

Last edited:

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Depending on the severity of your muddling, it is quite possible the transmission overheated and is damaged internally. Hows the fluid look? Also, again, depending on how crazy you got, there could be mud all over the engine compartment and possibly messing with the electrical connections. Have you tested the battery?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have not tested the battery but there definitely is mud all over the whole engine and everything under the hood. Haven't had time to dig in to it being the 25th and all. I realize it was a stupid thing to do, I do my best to keep these trucks in perfect condition but we all slip up sometimes. It never actually got stuck. I supposed it's possible it overheated but it never read or flashed a warning on the cluster.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
So you weren't sitting and rocking or anything like that?

ASsuming it's one of the trucks in your signature, there's nothing electronic to them, it should simply work, or not work. So checking the condition of the fluid would be next on the list.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's the 1992. Well we were mid drift when it died. After sitting for long enough for me to go from the back seat to the driver seat it started right back up. I'll check the fluid tonight.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 94 did the same thing... replaced the tps...good as new.... just a thought...

sent from what use to be a great country...

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Welcome to my club. Mine has done this MULTIPLE times after beating the hell out of her in a mud hole trying to pull someone out or trying to save myself before I called for help from a friend.

My solution is simple and has always worked.

Disconnect your battery and leave it overnight and re-connect it in the morning. It should be fine by then. I dont know what it is or why but the same thing happens to me quite often and I have to manually shift it home and when I wake up the next morning and re-connect the battery, it shifts fine. Its the strangest thing

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Welcome to my club. Mine has done this MULTIPLE times after beating the hell out of her in a mud hole trying to pull someone out or trying to save myself before I called for help from a friend.

My solution is simple and has always worked.

Disconnect your battery and leave it overnight and re-connect it in the morning. It should be fine by then. I dont know what it is or why but the same thing happens to me quite often and I have to manually shift it home and when I wake up the next morning and re-connect the battery, it shifts fine. Its the strangest thing

I would assume your trans is going into limp mode. Unplugging the juice resets the PCM.