1992 c2500 noise over speed bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys I just re did my whole front end
Ball joints tie rods upper and lower controls arms bushings and more the only part I didn’t replace is the sway bar it self and thinking that’s the culprit if I got 5mph over bump it’s silent if I go 10mph over a speed bump I get a loud banging noise what could this be? Please

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I just re did my whole front end
Ball joints tie rods upper and lower controls arms bushings and more the only part I didn’t replace is the sway bar it self and thinking that’s the culprit if I got 5mph over bump it’s silent if I go 10mph over a speed bump I get a loud banging noise what could this be? Please

PUNCTUATION! This is a mess to read.

Loud banging noise over bumps at speeds over 5 mph? Could be a dozen different things. May have nothing to do with the work performed on the steering/suspension up front. Here's a few things to check:

1. Do you KNOW that the noise is from the front end? Loose spare tire, unsecured tool box in the bed

2. Engine and trans mounts in good condition, bolts tight?

3. Body-to-frame cushions and hardware in good condition, bolts tight?

4. Battery secured? Cables not flopping around?

5. Suspension bolts torqued properly?

6. Shock absorbers mounted properly, and in good condition?

7. Sway bar mounts and end-links in good condition?

8. Suspension compressing or extending far enough to bang against failed or missing bump-stops?

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for reply! I have not replaced the bump stops that could be it where are they located? And my cab mounts are rusted out not sure if that could also be a cause? Everything else is replaced and torqued properly