1992 5.7l Intake Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most gasket sets come with the rubber seal that goes on the China rails. I don't use those, just build up a 3/8" - 1/2" bead of Permatex Ultra Black or 1 minute silicone. Works much better.

You must be registered for see images attach
I did use those, but I've heard of people just using the permatex big bead and they are fine.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TBI intake manifold is heated by a "coolant" passage that runs from the thermostat area to the rear of the manifold. This coolant exits the manifold at the heater supply fitting. There's no heater-control valve, so this coolant is always circulaing, keeping the temperature of the intake manifold as constant as possible.

If you don't have the right gaskets, the coolant in the manifold can stagnate, or even reverse-flow. The manifold will take too long to warm up, and perhaps get over-heated if the engine is run hard. There's some risk that the coolant would bypass the cylinder head and go through the manifold to the thermostat. Neither is good.

I don't know of any other SBC intake manifolds that are water-heated like this. That's why the gaskets for TBI are "special".

You must be registered for see images

I've never seen metal tabs for this application--they may exist, but I don't know about 'em. I've seen metal tabs that go into the exhaust crossover opening in the intake gasket, but I don't think that applies to TBI engines..
Thank you for the info!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez