1992 5.7l Intake Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilding my engine and putting on the intake gasket I forgot the "coolant block off tabs" small rectangular metal tabs for the coolant passages. I noticed I forgot them when I looked at the old gasket and they had those with it. I cant remember where they went though..

Are they necessary? Do I need to pull the intake off and do it again? Anyone have pictures of where they go?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just use Permatex Ultra Black or 1 minute sealant on the "China rails" and the coolant ports along with your intake gaskets or, you'll run the risk of oil/water leaks in the valley.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used grey permatex sealant around the whole gasket surface. Thin layer though.. is that ok?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Rebuilding my engine and putting on the intake gasket I forgot the "coolant block off tabs" small rectangular metal tabs for the coolant passages. I noticed I forgot them when I looked at the old gasket and they had those with it. I cant remember where they went though..

Are they necessary? Do I need to pull the intake off and do it again? Anyone have pictures of where they go?

Thanks!

Yes you need to remove the intake. The block off plates need to be in place, they go in the rear coolant passages. When you do this just buy the Fel-Pro gaskets the plates are part of the gaskets

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you need to remove the intake. The block off plates need to be in place, they go in the rear coolant passages. When you do this just buy the Fel-Pro gaskets the plates are part of the gaskets
Ok thanks. It's just the rear that needs to be blocked off correct?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most gasket sets come with the rubber seal that goes on the China rails. I don't use those, just build up a 3/8" - 1/2" bead of Permatex Ultra Black or 1 minute silicone. Works much better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TBI intake manifold is heated by a "coolant" passage that runs from the thermostat area to the rear of the manifold. This coolant exits the manifold at the heater supply fitting. There's no heater-control valve, so this coolant is always circulaing, keeping the temperature of the intake manifold as constant as possible.

If you don't have the right gaskets, the coolant in the manifold can stagnate, or even reverse-flow. The manifold will take too long to warm up, and perhaps get over-heated if the engine is run hard. There's some risk that the coolant would bypass the cylinder head and go through the manifold to the thermostat. Neither is good.

I don't know of any other SBC intake manifolds that are water-heated like this. That's why the gaskets for TBI are "special".

You must be registered for see images

I've never seen metal tabs for this application--they may exist, but I don't know about 'em. I've seen metal tabs that go into the exhaust crossover opening in the intake gasket, but I don't think that applies to TBI engines..

Last edited: