1991 350 tbi hard start when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91-2wd

Reaction score
Hey guys long time lurker and first ever poster, in need of some help quick.

I have a 1991 350 tbi that is having issues starting when hot. heres a little backstory

I went to leave for school one morning and hard troubles starting due to the cold, eventually i blew out my starter and replaced it with a second one ( larger starter.) After replacing it with the second one the engine would crank , fire once or twice, then give up, (occasional I could play with the throttle to get it going.)

I then went into town to do some Christmas shopping (stupid i know) and then had the same starting issue after getting fuel. This time i tried to start it so many times the nose casing piece of my starter broke off and jammed up in my flywheel.

I then towed the truck home and pulled the starter along with the piece that had broken off with no issues. I then pulled all my positive battery wiring to check for corrosion and such and replaced it after seemingly finding none. I also bulled my negative battery cable and cleaned off all the grounds.

I then did some research on gear reduction starters on the forum and decided to put one in. I got one from a yard and replaced it. Cranked up easy the first time but still has the warm hard start issue.

A couple of notes that i feel might help

-My top radiator hose is soft even when truck is idling (is this normal?)
-Before the truck had issues it would bog out around 1 quarter throttle then come back to life.
-before, the truck would smell like fuel immediately after starting.
-boosting doesn't seem to help.

Really needing to get this fixed before my winter break is over so any help is appreciated boys!
I will link a video below

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter is.binding with the flex plate.some people call the automatic ones.fly wheels.are you sure you got the right starter.

I all so hear.it cranks like the engine is out of time.rotor button.points at number one piston up on the

Compression stroke.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from your description, but it seems like you have TWO SEPARATE problems.

1. Exploding starter motors. Over-advanced timing, low voltage to the starter, and failed flywheel/flexplate can all cause this.

2. Engine cranks, won't start. Verify fuel pressure. Verify fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when key is turned from "Off" to "Run". Connect scan tool, look at data stream. Pay special attention to coolant temperature sensor, air temp sensor (if equipped), short- and long-term fuel trim, and MAP sensor. Assure fuel sprays from both injectors during cranking.