1990 TBI replacing manifolds with long tubes, 02 sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmcbride74

Reaction score
Has anyone put long tubes on a 90 TBI 5.7? In researching, it looks like it's best to replace the non-heated single wire stock o2 sensor with a heated 3 wire one and locate it in the collector of the header....

Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what part number? I have found some info on 92-94 but not 90...wondering if it's the same or materially different...

Kurt

kmcbride74

Reaction score
thanks for the quick response! have pruchased some things through Brian before.

kmcbride74

Reaction score
Oh, any idea if the bung for the stock o2 sensor is the same size as the 3 wire one? My exhaust guy wont mess with anything electrical, but he will weld a bung in the collector. I want to be sure the right size bung goes in there.

Man, what a great word that is :)

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Other than emailing Brian, my thoughts would be to take the new o2 to the parts store and try to find a bung that fits. Then take the size to your exhaust guy:shrug:

kmcbride74

Reaction score
yeah, already shot Brian an email on this. Thanks again for the quick responses.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
If you have a 4x4 it's gonna be a pain in the ass to route the exhaust for longtubes. If it's a 2wd, not too bad. Just cut the stock Y pipe off and do an H or X pipe, OR a custom Y pipe. Make sure the pipes arent smaller than the collectors, that would screw your top end performance. 3" for the win!

ninja edit: Just realized you were only talking about the O2 sensors. Lol. As far as I know, the bungs should be the same. I had a buddy that welded in a bung and the stock one fit fine, but if i were you I'd go to O'reillys or autozone and have them get a stock o2 and a 3 wire and see if the threads are the same size.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the O2 sensor bungs are the same. At least for all the domestics.. Not sure bout the imports. You can get a bung from most auto parts store. Most will have to order on from their warehouse. Have them look in the back of the exhaust book where the adaptors are. If they still know what a book is that is...lol.

Sent from what use to be a great country.