1989 K1500 ECLB 4x4 Build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes guys!

A little nice weather here in NW Pa, so I got a little done on the truck..
Prior owner was a hell of a "mechanic"
PCV hose was broke, had it duct taped...the cap and rotor were new, but installed wrong, also while the dist. was out he pinched the gasket, making a hell of an oil leak.

So I fixed that, added new plugs, wires, cap, and an air and PCV filter.
After it still ran bad so I checked the timing and saw he had it advanced 12* !!!!! (prob to overcome the vacuum leak lol)
set it back to the factory 0*

Runs alright now, warms up, stay at temp. idles smooth.
has a small exhaust leak at the manifold and the lifters make a little noise but for a hard 175k miles its running good.
the P.O. also removed all the wiring loom for some reason, It's all in the cab but quite the puzzle to decipher lol...

needs an intake gasket bad, the distributor gasket leak pushed allot of oil so I gotta clean it, but the rear main may be out too.
a bummer, but the engine is coming out as soon as I'm more mobile, just need it to hold together to get to P.T. and back 3x a week..

PICS.. note it was the P.O. who randomly applied grey spray paint as to trick a buyer into thinking these were new parts lol
and also what the UPS man brought me today....

You must be registered for see images attach

It's ugly, but I've got $785 invested including registration, ins, and parts installed. not bad for a running, inspected, driveable 1/2ton V8 4x4 truck.

That GMC had side airbags too, I'd say that qualifies as a hard enough impact.... but I'm no engineer...

heres the pics after we cleaned it out..

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
! You're one lucky man and god was on your side. That was one gnarly wreck but glad that you're alright, as best as anyone could be after that wreck.

Truck looks good and im sure its going to be one wicked DD.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score

Lol! just kidding.

(And I've kind of been waiting for a chance to use that gif file!)

But I've never understood rattle can attacks under the hood. Just makes things worse...

Yeah, that one there alone says the bags should have gone....

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm.... the north and south of the border versions I guess? or the 1/2ton and 3/4ton versions since we both got ECLBs?

Lloydminster eh? I worked / lived in Fort Saskatchewan, Ab for 9mos in '09, and Red Deer from 11/11-5/12. Alberta has become my 2nd home, met my Fiance in Red Deer. Drove from there to Houston once a month visiting her. Put 88,000 miles in 11mos on the -900 that year... it was Waaay easier just marrying her hahaha.

- Great White, I agree, and this is a horrible spray job, no masking, overspray on belts, hoses, just horrible....... but it did come from the mind thinking advancing timing 12* was easier than buying a $2 PCV hose and $3 PCV.

- as far as the airbags GM has a TSB for sensor failures... if the trucks are in a moist environment the sensors can corrode and fail... yea, I know....

-The accident happened as a result of my steering box / shaft separating, causing the truck to go hard left into oncoming traffic.
I was hit on the side @ 70mph by a ecsb -800, flipped rolled up, and over it, slid 1,200' ending up on the pass. side... I wasn't hurt initially but after getting out of my seat I stood up on the pass door, and just then an '09 Ram 1500 went around traffic, and hit the underneath of my truck @ 60mph, throwing me into the roof, and the truck rolled, and slid another 800' I ended up underneath the pass side rear seat. Conscious the entire time, it was a wild ride. Ended up taking a ride on life flight because my head injury was so bad.

I called GM customer service and was transferred to a "special department" 3 engineers came down to look at it, and removed parts, and studied it for over a week before the insurance company got it.

Their lawyers have been in contact with me, and an independent engineering company also reviewed the truck, and did a accident recreation. Obviously this is all still being worked out so I can't say much / or speculate what will happen. But ultimately their part failed causing the wreck, and a there was a secondary system failure in the airbags..

No new crap for me from now on....

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Hmm.... the north and south of the border versions I guess? or the 1/2ton and 3/4ton versions since we both got ECLBs?

Lloydminster eh? I worked / lived in Fort Saskatchewan, Ab for 9mos in '09, and Red Deer from 11/11-5/12. Alberta has become my 2nd home, met my Fiance in Red Deer. Drove from there to Houston once a month visiting her. Put 88,000 miles in 11mos on the -900 that year... it was Waaay easier just marrying her hahaha...

Heh Didn't realize how familiar you are with the area. Yea i have been living in Lloyd since '05 when i moved from a smaller town called Blackfoot which was about 10 min drive away from Lloyd when i moved but now its like 2 given how much both towns have expanded towards each other. I will not be surprised that if in about 5-10 years Blackfoot is absorbed into Lloyd.

As for the two trucks having the same name its more like Northern 1 ton version and Southern 1/2 ton version lol Or i suppose its more like Big brother (1 ton) and Lil brother (1/2 ton) which will be even more apparent once we both get to where we are headed with them lol I plan on lifting my 1 ton 7" and going Sas

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE!
yea I was wanting to go SAS and 38"-42"s with a TBI 454 and TH350 with this until it got pushed into D/D duty.

Someday I'll find my 73-86 K2500 454 or 91-02 C/K 2500 C/C 454 and have another way up in the sky project truck...

Just something about a mean a$% BB chevy 4x4...

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain all day today and a rough morning of PT means no progress today... but look what I got in the mail!!

315/75/16E Duratracs!!!!

And more parts from good ol' Rock Auto.. Intake manifold gasket, TBI rebuild kit, inner and outer tie rods, u/l ball joints
Also got my Energy Suspension full bushing kit from Summit Racing!!

This TBI rebuild kit seems like the perfect desktop challenge for a rainy few days. I'll be doing the ultimate TBI mods as well. I'll try to make a good pic tutorial.

Stay Tuned!!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
looking good man ill be following this,hope your feel in better. That really sucks about the 900 makes me lose faith in chevy's new stuff.