1988 Fuel Tank Baffle/Tray

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Anybody else have the worst luck ever with the baffle/tray in their '88 style fuel tanks coming loose? I constantly have problems with it. The first time it came loose my uncle had a shop fix it, but it appeared they just put the same cheap little spring washers on the studs, and they worked their way loose again. Then I dropped the tank and couldn't find one of them in the tank, so I bent one of the studs over a little, and put the washer on the other one, and it held for quite a while, but then it came loose again. This last time I couldn't find either of the washers, so I just bent both studs over a little, and accidentally bent one too far and cracked the weld, putting a pinhole in the bottom of the tank. I used JB weld to patch the hole, and put everything in. We were out wheeling Friday night when all of a sudden I lost all fuel pressure, but you can hear the pump running in the bottom of the tank. We towed it home and when we unloaded it you could hear the baffle bouncing off of the tank walls, so I'm sure it came loose again and knocked my fuel line loose. I guess my question is, is there a better way to fix it? or could I just cut it apart and remove it? How badly would that effect the pumps ability to pump fuel? Just getting tired of messing with it.

Edit: I have the 34 Gallon tank btw