1988 c1500 5.7 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerlayne

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Rob and I am kind of new to the truck world. I just purchased a 1988 silverado with a TBI 5.7 for $400. Sounds like a great deal but the reason the price is so cheap is it has a rod knocking. For now I just want to get the truck on the road until I save the money to rebuild the engine that is in the truck. I am looking to get a used 5.7 engine that will be a simple swap. Basically looking for a engine that I can just drop in and drive for now. I am not sure of the years of the 5.7 that will work like what I am looking for. I think 88-92 but not sure. If there are other years that will work please let me know. Thank You

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any 350 (5.7) from 88-95 should be a straight swap for ya. Have fun ,the gmt 400 imho is the best looking truck gm ever made and are one of the easiest to work on. Only problem is the factory motors lack in the power department , but they are reliable. Welcome and good luck

tylerlayne

Reaction score
Any 350 (5.7) from 88-95 should be a straight swap for ya. Have fun ,the gmt 400 imho is the best looking truck gm ever made and are one of the easiest to work on. Only problem is the factory motors lack in the power department , but they are reliable. Welcome and good luck

Thank You!

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but if I remember right, the early TBI motors were still considered a gen2 small block. That being said, the gen2 small block started in the late 50s I think. Any bare block should work for you. You'll just have to reuse the heads and intake unless you run a carb. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. My memory has been a little iffy today.

tylerlayne

Reaction score
I hope you are correct rosco. When I get ready to build my engine I may need another block. The engine knock has a squeaking sound with it and I was told that usually means a spun bearing. If its a main bearing possibly could have ruined the block.