18" Jeep Sahara Wheels on 1991 2wd. Need spacer advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. After seeing chris's thread about running a set of sahara wheels on his 2wd silverado I happened to see a set of these wheels with good tires for sale on craigslist for a great price and I drove over and picked them up today.

I saw on his thread that he was running a 1.5 inch wheel spacer and I have never ran spacers before. I would really appreciate any advice on what brand of spacers to run with these wheels.

The wheels are 18inch wheels off a 2007 jk sahara with the same 5x5 bolt pattern as the 2wd obs trucks. I think these will look fantastic once I get them on but I don't want to take a risk. I was looking at wheel spacers and it seems like there are a lot of horror stories with them. What is the safest thing to do here?

Here are the wheels:
You must be registered for see images attach

and the truck they're meant for:
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks a lot guys

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I wish I could tell you something about the spacers, but those wheels look good! I had no idea that they were 5X5 bolt pattern, something else I need to look into!

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so upon doing some more research I found some not so great news.

The hub diameter for my 1500 is 78.3mm and the hub diameter for the 2007 sahara that these wheels came from is 71.5mm which means I HAVE to run spacers no other option.

Now if I found a spacer that was hub-centric(bore of the spacer matches diameter of wheel hub) and was NOT wheel-centric(has a machined lip to simulate the vehicle's hub but is made to match the wheel) it would work, but would be difficult to balance and may cause vibrations.

There is a company called motorsport-tech that will make custom hub-centric AND wheel-centric adapters which would be perfect but they're pretty steep($300 for 4 adapters). The whole idea behind buying these wheels was that it was going to be cheaper to buy the wheels than buy all new tires and a spare wheel and tire...guess there goes that theory.

What do you guys think? I'm on a limited budget. Do I keep looking for a hub-centric only spacer to save money and rely solely on the lugs to balance the wheels or do I shell out for the customs?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm confused, which wheel is hub-centric? all Grand cherokees from 99+ and JK's 07+ are lug-centric rims with 5 on 5 bolt pattern, the 2wd trucks should also be lug-centric.
You are correct on the hub size being different. I have run billet wheel spacers in the past and the as long as the spacer fits the larger hub of the truck, the hub diameter of the wheel being bolted to the spacer is a non-point as long as the spacer is also lug-centric.

I am not super farmiliar with the JK wheels is there a small protrusion on the rear of the hub opening on the rim? If there is and it were me, I'd just grind that off flush.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure, Lock-tite makes a thread locker, I think it's blue, but it is desined to pervent fastners from backing of but is designed to allow easier removal of the fastner. DO not hold me to the color though. I have used tihs in the past for the inned lug nuts. Also, I had to punch out all the factory studs and cut them on the band saw so the rim sat flush on the spacer. Also ran these on a jeep only run off road with out a failure.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run ADAPTERS not spacers... go to http://www.wheeladapter.com/

He will make them to your specs... not cheap but you want it done right.

Also, I've run adapters on many cars/trucks, they are perfectly safe. Just use proper torque .. I go 95ft lbs on the nuts.