17 year old Vortec 350 (no miles) bad choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my nieghbour has a Vortec 350 out of a 98 4x4. It was pulled from the truck when it was new so it has probably less then 1000miles on it, its been in storage since then. Its a complete engine top to bottom with a waterpump and power steering pump on it. Im worried that seals, gaskets,(coolant thats possibly sitting in it) are cracked, dried out going to fail soon after its running again. Even stuff like valve seals, sure it has oil in it but would drip off everything over time. I can pick it up for $1900 and being my neighbour im sure if I had any serious issues he would give me my money back but lost time and finding a new engine comes into factor. Im just looking for opinions or even past experiences with similar situations.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well where has it been stored? A garage, shed? Basement. Has it been drained of the fluids. Are you in a temperature controled area or extreme temperatures

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
At $1900 I think it's a bad deal. A brand new L31 long block can be had on Summit for $2029 or Jegs for $1980 and free shipping. A quick google search will turn up many options and those were the first I clicked on. That's brand new with no unknowns of sitting for so long. It may be fine, but I'd want to put all new gaskets and seals after that long before I put it in.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At $1900 I think it's a bad deal. A brand new L31 long block can be had on Summit for $2029 or Jegs for $1980 and free shipping. A quick google search will turn up many options and those were the first I clicked on. That's brand new with no unknowns of sitting for so long. It may be fine, but I'd want to put all new gaskets and seals after that long before I put it in.
Agreed! I would be surprised if it was stored properly because they rarely are when we are talking about engines pulled. People generally are more focused on the new motor and not preserving the old one. I would be worried about condensation in any of the normally closed systems, internal rust, injectors, etc. Who knows if everything was totally drained so if it wasn't, that fuel will be glue at this point and I imagine there might be issues with the oil sludge but I really don't know much about that at all. I'm not sure if any updates were done to that motor in future model years but if so, you would be missing the improvements or fixes that gm felt were necessary.

I think you would find yourself replacing a lot of stuff because of the "well, while its out I should do..." mentality so that 1900 will quickly escalate.

I agree with using a long block as mentioned if you want that new motor feel. or rebuild your existing motor using upgraded parts if you want to go that route and there isn't any issues with your stuff.

The more I think about it, it could work but it's a gamble where a rebuild or long block are highly likely to have no issues.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$1900 is too much. I rebuilt my L31 with all new 'good' parts and machine work for less then $1000. By 'good' parts I mean clevite bearings, sealed power pistons, Melling oil pump, hastings rings, etc, etc.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed! I would be surprised if it was stored properly because they rarely are when we are talking about engines pulled. People generally are more focused on the new motor and not preserving the old one. I would be worried about condensation in any of the normally closed systems, internal rust, injectors, etc. Who knows if everything was totally drained so if it wasn't, that fuel will be glue at this point and I imagine there might be issues with the oil sludge but I really don't know much about that at all. I'm not sure if any updates were done to that motor in future model years but if so, you would be missing the improvements or fixes that gm felt were necessary.

I think you would find yourself replacing a lot of stuff because of the "well, while its out I should do..." mentality so that 1900 will quickly escalate.

I agree with using a long block as mentioned if you want that new motor feel. or rebuild your existing motor using upgraded parts if you want to go that route and there isn't any issues with your stuff.

The more I think about it, it could work but it's a gamble where a rebuild or long block are highly likely to have no issues.

Fair enough, I think ill lay this one to rest for someone who would be willing to do a complete tear down. Maybe you could answer me this though. My intake gasket has blown dumping coolant in and out of the engine. Im not currently driving it right now and im going to drain the oil but is it bad if coolant is just sitting in the pan with oil? I mean it would be at the very bottom anyways right.

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
If I was going to use an engine that had been sitting that long, I'd tear it down to the short block to check everything and reseal it all. That's why the $1900 would be a no-go for me. You have to get it down to inspect the cylinder walls for corrosion and make sure no critters have built a home in there anywhere. A lot can go wrong in 17 years in a non climate controlled environment.

Last edited:

Constantine

Reaction score
Do not buy that engine.
As previously stated you can buy an actual new l31 long block assembly for just a little more money.
I would buy the engine that is new and you don't have to tear down and inspect.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 305 out of a 96 truck with only 35 original miles... sat in the truck inside a shop all its life. sold it for 400$ ha ha. wish I would have kept it.

Edit: and this was all last year (2014) ha ha