12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
PolarBear thanks for making this post! Lots of good information here. I've been exploring this information for my truck as well but it will be a long while before I get to it. How long have you been using HP Tuners and how do you like it??? Have you ever used EFI Live and if you have how do the two compare? One other question. What all is involved in making the swap over to E85 use?

I'm glad to help! Hopefully this saves the searching and pouring over diagrams that I had to do.

I've been using HP Tuners for about a year now. Bought it simply to do this swap and learn how to tune. I've never used EFI Live, but I've heard they're very alike in what they're capable of, just different user interfaces.

In respect to E85, you can do it two days. One where you're using a fuel content sensor that allows both an e85 tune and an 87-93 tune. The way I did it was a 100% all the time E85 tune.

I really like how your project turned out, definitely unique. I did find a guy on hp tuners/ls1tech forum that converted a mark IV 454 to 24x using an 0411, was another fun project to watch.

Thank you! If you've liked it so far, you'll really like what happens next. Just got done fabricating a really nice turbo kit for the truck. :)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol... just lol...
No lol about it. The early black box code can actually run TBI and CPIs well as 8 sequential injectors. It can run speed density only or with the MAF. Some of the 95 4.3s in S10s used the Black box with TBI and CPI I have a dissasembly and can edit binary files with TunerPro and inport them into TunerCats. They can also support non computerized transmissions like the Allison AT545. All because GM wrote it into the code.

I am talking tuning wise as well not the 24x. Have to run atleast a LS controller to do that.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad to help! Hopefully this saves the searching and pouring over diagrams that I had to do.

I've been using HP Tuners for about a year now. Bought it simply to do this swap and learn how to tune. I've never used EFI Live, but I've heard they're very alike in what they're capable of, just different user interfaces.

In respect to E85, you can do it two days. One where you're using a fuel content sensor that allows both an e85 tune and an 87-93 tune. The way I did it was a 100% all the time E85 tune.

Thank you! If you've liked it so far, you'll really like what happens next. Just got done fabricating a really nice turbo kit for the truck. :)

My 24X Express van has been running the Blue/Green 1 meg PCM for 2 years. It can sense alcohol level through the 02 sensors without the fuel composition sensor via Psuedo flex fuel option.

There is also a file to run the 4x crank and 1x cam sensor of the L31 with the newer 1 meg. L31 GMT 800 trucks used it.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
So the question remains..
Did you see an improvement in cop..or was it not noticable

Perhaps if you were more forward with your questions, you'd get a better directed answer.

My experience with coil on plug over a distributor has been surreal. The drivability is second to none now.

I've personally never driven a smallblock this crisp before.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps if you were more forward with your questions, you'd get a better directed answer.

My experience with coil on plug over a distributor has been surreal. The drivability is second to none now.

I've personally never driven a smallblock this crisp before.

Can also command more than ~45* of timing is you want/need to. Probably not all that useful but you no longer have that physical limitation.