Z71 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When was the 1st year for the Z71 decals on the bed? My guess is it was 89. I know the package was available much earlier, just without the decals.

What exactly came with a Z71 package in 88?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remembered I have the 88-89 parts catalog. I can’t find any Z71 decals, only Sport decals for 89. Maybe they were a dealer applied option in the beginning?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

HiFive

Reaction score
When was the 1st year for the Z71 decals on the bed? My guess is it was 89. I know the package was available much earlier, just without the decals.

What exactly came with a Z71 package in 88?

i cant speak for '88, but my '97 2-Door Tahoe Z71 came w the plastic front skid plate (earlier ones had Alum), trans, transfer case, and fuel tank skid plates, and Bilstein shocks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That front skid plate you mention isn't a skid plate, it's there to help manage airflow through the radiator and I always forget to hunt them at the pull and pay.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Z71 package first appeared in 90 or 91 ( I used to know which year for sure).
The package consisted of skid plates under the the front diff and T-case, front sway bar that was 2 mm thicker, Bilstein shocks........and a decal. Every Z71 I've seen had the 3.73 gears (but 3.73's were practically standard for GM 4wd's sold in the Rockies). The locking diff was a common option with the Z71's, but neither of mine came with it.

As mentioned, the aluminum/plastic panel between the bottom of the radiator and cross member is for air flow and does have the added benefit of preventing brush or weeds from hitting the fan.

And no, dealers didn't surreptitiously apply decals to trucks without the package.........

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that Z71 trucks came from the factory with aluminum skip plates and Bilstein shocks.

The diff and t-case skid plates, yes. And yes to the shocks. I want to say that one or both of those could be had outside of the Z71 package.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Z71 package first appeared in 90 or 91 ( I used to know which year for sure).
The package consisted of skid plates under the the front diff and T-case, front sway bar that was 2 mm thicker, Bilstein shocks........and a decal. Every Z71 I've seen had the 3.73 gears (but 3.73's were practically standard for GM 4wd's sold in the Rockies). The locking diff was a very common option with the Z71's, but neither of mine came with it.

As mentioned, the aluminum/plastic panel between the bottom of the radiator and cross member is for air flow and does have the added benefit of preventing brush or weeds from hitting the fan.

And no, dealers didn't surreptitiously apply decals to trucks without the package.........

Correct...factory decals. However, you could order a truck with the decal delete option (RPO code 9R1). My brothers '89 Z71 came without beside decals.