Would this trans be identifiable as likely nv3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally found a donor vehicle with a possible NV 3500 I need .
I’m thinking it’s the year that this would’ve came in also .
It is a full-size standard cab 2000’ 4.3 Silverado

Like to know if it’s the likely one prior to pulling it unknowingly in the -10 degree temp out side where I am
You must be registered for see images attach

Can anyone let me know if this would be a nv3500 likely if it’s the oem trans
Not sure if the nv1500 came in the small trucks only or if it was 4cyl and 6cyl also ?
Or with this being a full size would be the nv3500 even with a 4.3 vortec

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it is at the salvage yard. I’m currently up here taking a visual look at it. These trucks don’t last here very long but it will at least be here till the next week. I’m thinking about pulling it Friday. I just want to make sure it is a NV 3500
Looks like somebody took the shifter but that’s fine it’s a 2001 4.3 v6
not a 2000’ it is a 2wd but it has 6lug strange??

I have added some photos of the transmission I’ve took in looks like it It has a healthy leak somewhere. I’m thinking it’s the rear driveshaft seal..
Only thing I wish it had was a shifter so I can see it pushes through the gears easily. I’m sure the clutch is worn no big deal.
-10 degrees out and $150 can’t pass it up
It’s just imperative that I know it’s a NV3500

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front half looks clean enough. I feel like the sludge is from the seal leak at the driveshaft input. Like I said, I added photos I even have the tag inside the glove box with codes

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you SURE you want to buy a light duty 5 speed that is not known for durability, from a boneyard, missing the shifter, leaking, with no way to judge its condition other than a couple of big red flags? What if the monkeys that pulled the shifter dropped a bolt inside, or any other debris has found its way in there? What if it's been run low on lube due to the leak?

I wouldn't trust that thing for any more than a core.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Looks like somebody took the shifter but that’s fine it’s a 2001 4.3 v6
not a 2000’ it is a 2wd but it has 6lug strange??

It's a GMT-800, not a 400, and GM probably changed to 6-lugs. The 2wd suspensions are the same as the 4wds on the 800, I think.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you SURE you want to buy a light duty 5 speed that is not known for durability, from a boneyard, missing the shifter, leaking, with no way to judge its condition other than a couple of big red flags? What if the monkeys that pulled the shifter dropped a bolt inside, or any other debris has found its way in there? What if it's been run low on lube due to the leak?

Richard
Yeah, I get your point, but I also get the highly unlikeliness of finding one around me for this type of price range especially a 2 Wheel Dr
I see your point very well, but I also base vehicles, and what they came in for this thing was hitt in t the rear end… and it sure wasn’t scrapped cause of a leaky manual trans ..
I took a flashlight look down inside there didn’t see anything unusual as far as bolts nuts or debris I’m taking my bets. The guy just didn’t wanna pull it and he started to do it with the shifter maybe until he looked at the under side who knows

the leak is probably runoff from the rear seal how bad do these nv3500 really end up aside from worn clutch’s ,or a bad synchro I mean take the same chance with one that’s pulled out on Facebook for 600 fn dollars lol if you can even find one in or be forced to buy a $1200 parts truck just for the trans that could be same scenario

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard

Yeah, I’m sure I want to buy a light duty five speed nv3500 that GM put these in. Why else do you think GM put them in trucks? People are all naysay because they would rather run a t56

I’m doing the swap for light duty commuting general driving not to race
I’ll pass on the recommendation of avoiding it for the price thanks though