Would this trans be identifiable as likely nv3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a GMT-800, not a 400, and GM probably changed to 6-lugs. The 2wd suspensions are the same as the 4wds on the 800, I think.
Wasn’t aware they did 6 lug on any platform gmt 400 or 800
Unless It was a 2500 2wd or a 4x4

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transmission you are looking at is absolutely an nv3500. Easliey identifiable by the 2 piece case. Gm switched base trucks from 5 lug to 6 lug with the introduction of the gmt800. The later nv3500 are much tougher than the earlier versions. Other than weak shift forks (dont shift too hard or fast) they are perfectly fine for half ton truck use. Also, gmt800 half tons are significantly heavier duty overall than gmt400 half tons.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let me break this down and get your opinion.
So if I wanna try to weigh out the pros and cons or the risk vs reward .
The Truck has been at the bone yard since dec 26 !
When I got to it today the front seat was pulled a few dash components bezel etc
And most importantly the shifter removed and just a bunch of normal trash any slob would have on the floor of a pickup .
If someone needed just a shifter who knows
Or maybe they pulled it to start and seen the sludge leak from the under side ! Or maybe they coming back with help !
It is -10 below where I am cold as hell to be pulling transmissions with out help .

Truck was a work truck daily beater from what I assume it was retired or the rear end damage was the cause of it being sent to the grave maybe the engine. I just can’t picture the likely-ness of some throwing the truck away over a bad manual trans

So I have to source a shifter on eBay no huge issue.
The Leak is wet at the tail seal and it probably just coated the back half so I assume it’s just that . If the clutch is bad so that’s expected gets a new one on install
I could pull the drain plug and see if it has gear fluid that would at least state that it was last driven with fluid and not bone dry.

I see where the case splits is where most of the dampness starts that could be from a bad slave also or maybe the seal between the two halves , I just put most of that likeliness either on the tail seal or the slave cyl.

Finding these nv3500s already out of a truck let alone locally is not every situation and we all know they bring 500-600 used maybe more and that’s even a risk with a pulled one .
Then there is price tag of a $2500 reman online !
So I don’t know for 150$ bucks U-pull what’s the risk here . Only two things I see is I risk someone bumper some metal inside the shifter opening or the synchros are worn. But like I said who drives a truck into the parts yard over a sh*** trans. Unless 50 other things are wrong and there done with it all

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But like I said who drives a truck into the parts yard over a sh*** trans
And who drives a truck around with a worn out transmission because they don’t care and they’re just going to scrap it anyways. Truck is wiped, doesn’t look well cared for. Why would they take care of the transmission and nothing else? Too many red flags for me.

$150, sure, I guess. I’d rather save and buy a reman or just get it rebuilt prior to installing it into my truck. You’re better off waiting even though you don’t want to hear it.

When I’m done with my ‘92 I’m selling my NV3500 and swapping to a T56 when revival time comes.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And who drives a truck around with a worn out transmission because they don’t care and they’re just going to scrap it anyways. Truck is wiped, doesn’t look well cared for. Why would they take care of the transmission and nothing else? Too many red flags for me.

$150, sure, I guess. I’d rather save and buy a reman or just get it rebuilt prior to installing it into my truck. You’re better off waiting even though you don’t want to hear it.

When I’m done with my ‘92 I’m selling my NV3500 and swapping to a T56 when revival time comes.
The same can be said for any scrap yard car part .. in which thousands of dudes a day go pull parts for a bargain to save $$ and risk that the purchase will work / maybe even if it just gets someone by until they can afford new !

It’ was the point of determining if it was a NV3500 and the point of getting my hands on one for that price point to begin with.

Why pay 600-800$ for one that needs rebuilt or should be rebuilt the same as this one may…when you can pay 150 for the whole core . I’ mean I’m not here to argue I accept all the opinions in the world but I’m not gonna hate on the idea just cause everyone rides a t56 di**
I can’t help the truck and trans is in a bone yard. I just wanted to get ahold of one fairly cheap . Rebuilding it at a purchase price of 150$ is a hell of a lot better than rebuilding one at a purchase price of 600-700 and probably a plan of mine , and the only way you can know what your getting out of any trans is if you buy a readily driving c1500 just for the trans !! Then !!!!!!!!! your already over paying for a truck that everything else becomes useless because all you need is the manual trans

This entire topic wasn’t for the naysayers or about the opposition .
All I asked was For was help on identifying if it was a nv3500 that’s it !

It turned into opinions and why and what if and whatever else. But then again you can never get a straight forward answer for what the question “literally” is . S10 forum guys are the same way. All froggy about what someone else plans to do vs what they would do if it was there situation.

Only one person answered the question how it as asked and left it alone .

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like your mind is made up. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk. I would not pull a transmission in -10 temps if I was paid 1000 dollars to do it. **** that
It’s not that complex with the fortitude and right tools .
I remember doing drop I- beams at 16 yrs old on my 91 ranger in the middle of winter dressed accordingly because I wanted to be the cool kid on the block the next morning ..
I guess I’m just that guy im not afraid too wrench even if the weather conditions aren’t what I wish for .

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah!! Buy it!!! $150 is a bargain I would buy 4 at that price and have spares!! I prefer the 4500 but I would run either especially if I had spares!