Why so many 400s leaving?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my GMT400 to replace my little Nissan Hardbody. It's my second vehicle, actually 5th if you count the motorcycles, so I mainly needed it to haul my bikes to the race track, work around the house, and have as a workhorse for friends and family to borrow. My old Nissan was small, one bike in the bed with the tailgate down and the cab filled with all the gear. I always loved Chevy trucks, had an old '69 3/4 ton Longhorn years ago, but looking at prices of the 400s and features it had over the old ones I decided to go with a '96 - '98 extra cab, long bed, 4x4, 5.7L w/4l60E. It has it's problems, but they are minor, just cosmetic, and it runs really damn good for having 245,000 miles on it. I'll probably rebuild the 4L60E down the line and get all the dents out of the bed, or replace it with another bed and paint. For $2,300 it was a decent find. I'm into it about $700 with tires, all new front end components and other miscelaneous stuff. So in short I'm going to keep this truck for a very, very, very long time and I think it will serve me very well. Parts being dirt cheap, plentiful, and doing all of my own work makes it a cheap vehicle to own.

Old Nissan:
You must be registered for see images attach

New to me Sierra:
You must be registered for see images attach

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a GMT-400 owner for life. I've had my '91 for almost 16 years now and they're going to have to bury me in it. I have no plans of getting rid of my Suburban anytime soon either, though I do hope to replace it as a driver in the future sometime. My parents have a 2010 2500 Suburban that I would LOVE to have to replace the '98 so I can do more to the '98. :cool:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a GMT-400 owner for life. I've had my '91 for almost 16 years now and they're going to have to bury me in it. I have no plans of getting rid of my Suburban anytime soon either, though I do hope to replace it as a driver in the future sometime. My parents have a 2010 2500 Suburban that I would LOVE to have to replace the '98 so I can do more to the '98. :cool:
I am with you there!

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Mine was the first vehicle I ever purchased with my own money. Granted, when I first turned 16 I got to drive my dad's new Durango, which was a blast. But still, I bought this one with my own money from my dad 2 years later. He bought this truck new in '98 with 7 miles on it. I literally can remember going to the dealer and looking at it, and being amazed at how much power the 5.7 had. I was 7 years old then, and I can remember the damn seat belt rubbing a raw spot on my neck because I was so short. The other day I took all the seats out of it to clean, and I found a happy meal toy I lost in 1999. Talk about nostalgia. And since we bought it, the truck has brought my baby brother home from the hospital, towed the trailer home that held my first horse, helped my family move from 2 different houses, taken at least 3 people to the hospital, pulled an over turned tractor off of a family friend, taken our dog to the vet the 3 times he was hit by a car, survived a divorce, survived a theft attempted by said divorced family member, safely taken me home through a tornado, and those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Many of the things I learned about working on cars I learned from this truck when I was still in grade school. At this point, I feel like I have a very good understanding of how the parts all work on it. When I look at Fords or Dodges, I have a hard time understanding how they work because I am so used to this truck. The same is true, just to a lesser degree with the NBS trucks. My dad's Silverado is much harder to work on than this one is.

I live on campus at college during the school months, and drive 1.5 hours home on the weekends. With that said, the truck probably gets 250 miles, tops, put on it every week. That keeps gas prices from affecting me quite so much I guess. (And when it is at college, it is in a parking garage so it is somewhat protected from the elements. While at home it stays in a heated/cooled garage.) So I can't really justify buying a new car.

I wanted to drive around a bit more this summer, though, so I purchased a CBR600 a few months ago to zip around on. Getting 45MPG on that thing is very nice, and it helps keep the miles off the truck. I'm going to drive it to college through October also, if I don't get killed on the interstate.

Anyway, I am really, really attached to the truck. I know I can get better mileage or more power from a newer model, but the history this vehicle has is priceless to me. I know gas is only going to go up, and if it keeps going at the rate it has been, I will have to invest in a second vehicle in the next few years. When that happens, I will put this one in a garage or a storage unit somewhere to keep it from aging anymore than necessary. After I finish my degree, I will hopefully be living pretty comfortably and will be able to pull it out of storage, totally strip it down, and turn it into a sunny-day toy.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my GMT800 because I couldnt for the lif of me find a 3/4 ton, 454, shortbox, crewcab GMT400 at that time. If I could go back.......Id buy a GMT400 in a heartbeat though. I like my 06 dont get me wrong, but I think the GMT400 is a better looking truck all the live long day.

TheBigMortboski

World's Tallest Midget
Reaction score
There are bunch of young people in this thread. "I was six when they quite making my favorite truck." When I was six, you could buy a brand new car with a carburetor.

I like my 98, but if I were offered a straight up trade for a V10 Super Duty, I'd jump on it. I guess I haven't quite developed a passion for it yet, but maybe. I like that its cheap and easy to work on, the styling is growing on me, and its pretty comfy. I've never liked the GMT-800s, though. Something about the way they drive, they seem "mushy," if that makes any sense. The steering, brakes, and throttle don't seem to have as much feel as the GMT-400s.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I'll have mine until I die. And I hope to acquire a RCSB in the next few years and do a complete ground up on it and keep it in the garage forever too!