Who is Sean Buick 76?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How the HELL do you all survive temps like that? I've read the sarcastic answers, but I'm serious! When it hits below 40°F, that's it. My heat gets CRANKED.
It’s not so bad once you get used to it! Today I was wearing long underwear, sweatpants, hoodie and a vest with thin gloves. It’s hard to work with too much bulky cloths on. When it’s so cold your eyeballs hurt, it’s tough lol!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not so bad once you get used to it! Today I was wearing long underwear, sweatpants, hoodie and a vest with thin gloves. It’s hard to work with too much bulky cloths on. When it’s so cold your eyeballs hurt, it’s tough lol!

You're a better man than me. I could never get used to the frigid cold like that. IMHO, it's just not right to live that way.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How the HELL do you all survive temps like that? I've read the sarcastic answers, but I'm serious! When it hits below 40°F, that's it. My heat gets CRANKED.
Layers.....lots of layers.
When it was pushing -40, up top I had 2 long johns,t shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, two thin jackets, hoodie and then a fire proof winter jacket.
Down below was 2 long johns, Carhartt pants and a set of insulated Carhartt bibs.
Boots are insulated composite toe(steel bad in winter!) with 1000 grams of insulation, normal boots have 200g.
Insulated leather ropers for gloves, not that great, but free. Don't wear a toque under the hard had usually, gets too warm. But have the hoodie up to keep the wind mostly off your face and neck.
And safety glasses, your eyeballs can actually freeze!!!
When your mustache gets too iced up, you go in the truck for a warm-up.
Your nose hairs and eye lashes freeze.
It's good times!!! Lol
It makes the -20c days seem warm.
You get acclimated to it, and even -30c without the wind is fine. It's the wind that gets ya.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Believe me.....I give my parents $hit every winter about why the hell did they stay here and not move somewhere more hospitable!!! Lol
Yes that’s a valid point! I came here by choice… Growing up on Vancouver island I was a tree hugging hippy with $60.000 in student loans. Scaffolding in -30 for 6 months earned me enough money to pay the full 60k in one lump sum as soon as the loan payment schedule was due to begin.

Being a journeyman scaffolder and carpenter this area is like a license to print money.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Layers.....lots of layers.
When it was pushing -40, up top I had 2 long johns,t shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, two thin jackets, hoodie and then a fire proof winter jacket.
Down below was 2 long johns, Carhartt pants and a set of insulated Carhartt bibs.
Boots are insulated composite toe(steel bad in winter!) with 1000 grams of insulation, normal boots have 200g.
Insulated leather ropers for gloves, not that great, but free. Don't wear a toque under the hard had usually, gets too warm. But have the hoodie up to keep the wind mostly off your face and neck.
And safety glasses, your eyeballs can actually freeze!!!
When your mustache gets too iced up, you go in the truck for a warm-up.
Your nose hairs and eye lashes freeze.
It's good times!!! Lol
It makes the -20c days seem warm.
You get acclimated to it, and even -30c without the wind is fine. It's the wind that gets ya.
Fffffff! Fffffff! That is too cold for me to even get the uck out! If the temperature is colder than my age, I don't belong there!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that’s a valid point! I came here by choice… Growing up on Vancouver island I was a tree hugging hippy with $60.000 in student loans. Scaffolding in -30 for 6 months earned me enough money to pay the full 60k in one lump sum as soon as the loan payment schedule was due to begin.

Being a journeyman scaffolder and carpenter this area is like a license to print money. When a safety guy can make 350k a year then you know you are in the right location.

Let me let you, $100 an hour will make you like the brisk weather!
I was born and raised here, I've seen the boom/bust cycle more than once, but swinging the hammer has kept me employed for 28yrs. Only been laid off 3 times without notice.
Having dual tickets is definitely a plus, let's me start a project as a carpenter, finish as a scaffolder.
But pushing 50, I think I seriously need to get my NCSO and head down the safety trail.

Seen lots of guys with the same story as you, came here in debt, tossed on a tool belt and made enough to get out of it pretty quickly.
Also seen the complete opposite, big trucks, house, quads, boats etc. Thinking that the big $$$ jobs wouldn't end, OT every week. Then jobs end and reality hits, repo man at the door, and heading back east (usually) with their tail between their legs. Sad, but you tried warning them.

And ya ...we will tolerate the cold here for the cold hard cash every week!!! Lol
It's not an easy province to live in, but I don't think is want to live anywhere else.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fffffff! Fffffff! That is too cold for me to even get the uck out! If the temperature is colder than my age, I don't belong there!
We have a saying up here, cold builds character.
And believe me, there are a ton of them up here.
People who drive convertibles top down all year, drive a Lamborghini all year even in the snow, guys who run in shorts year round without a shirt on! That runner made the news every year, and they would always say don't call 911 anymore because he's fine!! Lol

It's something that everyone should try at least once, being outside in -40 or colder. It makes you feel "fresh"!!! Lol
Frozen beards and eyelashes are awesome!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a saying up here, cold builds character.
And believe me, there are a ton of them up here.
People who drive convertibles top down all year, drive a Lamborghini all year even in the snow, guys who run in shorts year round without a shirt on! That runner made the news every year, and they would always say don't call 911 anymore because he's fine!! Lol

It's something that everyone should try at least once, being outside in -40 or colder. It makes you feel "fresh"!!! Lol
Frozen beards and eyelashes are awesome!

To HELL with that!

I was at the yard once, in the dead of NEPA winter, grabbing parts for a buddy (and in return, he did some exhaust work for me). I was in a carhart bear suit, sitting in the snow, tearing motor mounts off an old Chrysler. It was so cold that my underwear froze inside my crack. THAT was uncomfortable, to say the least.

That was my breaking point for cold weather nonsense.

Now, if it so much as threatens below 45°, I do NOT leave the house.

Yes I'm a wuss when it comes to the cold lol.