Which of these would tow a car the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 2500 series trucks had 13" drum brakes, which in my experience stop pretty well. Had them on a R2500 square Burb with 350 TBI and TH400(no overdrive),4.10 gears. That in my opinion was the only limitation on pulling or driving that truck on the highway (the big gears). Without overdrive, it didn't have much grunt after 55 or 60 mph. But it had lots of low end and was strong off the line, remarkably so for 7000 pounds of Burb. Had it loaded up many times going to and from swap meets; performed well except for when the brake booster was going out. Those were long trips across Houston! But once fixed, was back to normal.
I agree with the sentiment towards leaf spring rear suspension over coils. Our 06 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0/ 4L80E was good when it was newer. But once the springs and shocks went bad, not so much. Had my 99 Burb C1500 loaded up for the swap meet weekend before last, and it barely noticed the load. Only lowered it to level.....
Edit: just noticed your avatar picture. That looks much like my old Burb! Was a good truck, wish I could have kept it.

Last edited:

mojocoggo

Reaction score
Thanks all for the helpful advice. It sounds like the diesel is out, bummer because I love the characteristics and economy of diesel engines, but I get the feeling the 6.5 doesn't really shine like modern diesels, especially given the lower tow ratings.

I don't need 4WD, but wouldn't rule out a 4WD truck if the condition/price makes sense, the 500lbs difference in capacity isn't make or break in this scenario.

It sounds like the ideal choices are narrowed down to:

GMT400 2500 7.4L w/4.10 gears preferred
GMT800 2500 6.0L w/4.10 gears preferred

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
If you really want a 6.5, it will do the job, but just be aware that they do have a few shortcomings to be dealt with. They are not nearly as powerful as a 5.9 Cummins or 7.3 Powerstroke. The PMD and harmonic balancer are known problems with reasonably simple solutions. And it is a non intercooled turbo, so boost levels have to stay low.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
It sounds like the ideal choices are narrowed down to:

GMT400 2500 7.4L w/4.10 gears preferred
GMT800 2500 6.0L w/4.10 gears preferred

At this point it is down to personal preference and what is available to purchase. GMT400 interior in *my opinion* is much better than the GMT800. The 6.0 is just as reliable as the 454 but does its work higher in the rpm range. The 6.0 is easier to work on, has a better ECU, and will probably get around 2mpg better empty(maybe).

I daily drive a 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban 7.4 w/4.10s. I love it, its hard on gas, 11.2mpg average back and forth to work over 10k miles, will pull anything I want, rides great, looks awesome. I have made 13.12mpg running 71mph on I35 going north. It is my all purpose rig, hauls kids, car trailers, lumber, has 4WD for snow/ice(when needed), and gets me to and from work. When the 454 dies...hopefully 150k miles down the road or longer...I will probably LS swap it, because: 1. that's what I do & 2. it will cost about the same money at that point. There is no payoff right now to swap over to the 6.0L...mileage upgrade will never payoff.

Find the GMT400/800 rig in the color you like, for the money you like, and buy it!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have an 89 ECLB 7.4 with 4:10
It pulled a gooseneck dual axle flatbed with two ford F150s on it over Snoqualmie pass and managed about 40 mph doing it.
It didnt like it, but it did it
I also met every gas station employee on the way.
I'm a bigger fan of the GMT400 platform Than The 800.
The 800 will do the job for sure but they shed little plastic parts and have in my opinion way to many relays and sensors that are starting to be aftermarket only.
The 400 has the same problem but they are much easier to repair and I think we end up dealing with less future part issues.
If you have the time, scour the internet for a Gmt400 that is aready set up for trailer towing.
But the best way to find a deal is to get to know the whole Gmt400 system
So many of these trucks have been parked and sell dirt ass cheap because of really simple things.
I paid 250 bucks for the 89, It wouldnt idle and ran like crap at cold start.
TBI base gasket.
I paid 1500 bucks for my current K2500.
No start, slow start, crazy electrical.
All of the grounds were loose or missing.
That was about 130,000 miles ago.
If I had 4 to 6 k?
I would take my time untill I found that peach.
Remember, you aint kneecapping the dumb, you are saving a truck from the crusher!

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I used to have an 89 ECLB 7.4 with 4:10
It pulled a gooseneck dual axle flatbed with two ford F150s on it over Snoqualmie pass and managed about 40 mph doing it.
It didnt like it, but it did it
I also met every gas station employee on the way.
I'm a bigger fan of the GMT400 platform Than The 800.
The 800 will do the job for sure but they shed little plastic parts and have in my opinion way to many relays and sensors that are starting to be aftermarket only.
The 400 has the same problem but they are much easier to repair and I think we end up dealing with less future part issues.
If you have the time, scour the internet for a Gmt400 that is aready set up for trailer towing.
But the best way to find a deal is to get to know the whole Gmt400 system
So many of these trucks have been parked and sell dirt ass cheap because of really simple things.
I paid 250 bucks for the 89, It wouldnt idle and ran like crap at cold start.
TBI base gasket.
I paid 1500 bucks for my current K2500.
No start, slow start, crazy electrical.
All of the grounds were loose or missing.
That was about 130,000 miles ago.
If I had 4 to 6 k?
I would take my time untill I found that peach.
Remember, you aint kneecapping the dumb, you are saving a truck from the crusher!

This ^^