Which of these would tow a car the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to have an 89 ECLB 7.4 with 4:10
It pulled a gooseneck dual axle flatbed with two ford F150s on it over Snoqualmie pass and managed about 40 mph doing it.
It didnt like it, but it did it
I also met every gas station employee on the way.
I'm a bigger fan of the GMT400 platform Than The 800.
The 800 will do the job for sure but they shed little plastic parts and have in my opinion way to many relays and sensors that are starting to be aftermarket only.
The 400 has the same problem but they are much easier to repair and I think we end up dealing with less future part issues.
If you have the time, scour the internet for a Gmt400 that is aready set up for trailer towing.
But the best way to find a deal is to get to know the whole Gmt400 system
So many of these trucks have been parked and sell dirt ass cheap because of really simple things.
I paid 250 bucks for the 89, It wouldnt idle and ran like crap at cold start.
TBI base gasket.
I paid 1500 bucks for my current K2500.
No start, slow start, crazy electrical.
All of the grounds were loose or missing.
That was about 130,000 miles ago.
If I had 4 to 6 k?
I would take my time untill I found that peach.
Remember, you aint kneecapping the dumb, you are saving a truck from the crusher!

mojocoggo

Reaction score
Let’s throw another into the mix:

GMT400 full-size Blazer (2-door) 5.7L w/6-lug axles and trailering package

I can’t find a reliable source for towing capacity for this configuration. How much scarier would it be than a Suburban 2500?

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either GMT 500 6.0 litre or GMT 400 7.4 litre. I had both when I was racing and I pulled 9,000 lbs with car and enclosed trailer. The 7.4 had a little more torque but not enough to be concerned about. The only mods I did was install a 4.10 in both. NOTE: the 7.4 was a 97 model. I want to be clear that the 96 up 7.4 is much better than the previous throttle body. Much more torque. This is strictly from the list you gave. The 2002 1500 HD 4 door pickup with 6.0 is also a great choice. I also had one of those so all of these come from personal experience. The 1500 HD is like the Suburban 2500 with 8600 gvw rating. Many people don’t know about this pickup.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either GMT 500 6.0 litre or GMT 400 7.4 litre. I had both when I was racing and I pulled 9,000 lbs with car and enclosed trailer. The 7.4 had a little more torque but not enough to be concerned about. The only mods I did was install a 4.10 in both. NOTE: the 7.4 was a 97 model. I want to be clear that the 96 up 7.4 is much better than the previous throttle body. Much more torque. This is strictly from the list you gave. The 2002 1500 HD 4 door pickup with 6.0 is also a great choice. I also had one of those so all of these come from personal experience. The 1500 HD is like the Suburban 2500 with 8600 gvw rating. Many people don’t know about this pickup.

GMT 500? You mean the GMT 800? Had to Google this...didn't know there was also a GMT 480? What's that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT400

I guess you meant GMT800/820/830?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT800

I usually just call GMT400 or GMT800, even for SUVs

I guess we never asked OP if a truck was an option. Maybe it's a family hauler and needs more seats? But then the 2 door Tahoe wouldn't be better either?

Here is an older thread of a guy towing with a 2 door. Seems like the towing limit was somewhere like 4,500-5,000 lbs on those 2 doors SUVs, and I think some even came with the 4.3? But as mentioned, a short wheelbase vehicle is less favorable for towing than a long wheel base equivalent.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/towing-capacity-for-2door-tahoe.26305/page-2

mojocoggo

Reaction score
First off this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever used of the 20+ forums I've been a member of over the years, so thank you all for your insights.

The vehicle I'm looking for would only be used for towing and the occasional camping trip/mild off-roading (sleeping in the back, hence the preference for the covered cargo area vs a pickup bed).

I only bring up the 2-door Tahoe/Blazer option since I found an extremely nice one for sale and have always loved the look of them. Although I don't think it'd be quite up to the task of towing another Suburban.

I'll definitely come back and update this thread once I buy something which should be within the next few weeks.