Where does your exhaust exit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Basically its just gonna act as two megaphones and add volume. If you took two identical mufflers on dual outket the second single outlet they would have the same sound one would just be louder. I know circumstances apply but theoretically. If all variables were the same except exit style.

Adam

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Basically its just gonna act as two megaphones and add volume. If you took two identical mufflers on dual outket the second single outlet they would have the same sound one would just be louder. I know circumstances apply but theoretically. If all variables were the same except exit style.

Adam

Nah, I had a single 3" and it was low and deep. Scared women and children when at full battle cry. Quiet enough for the tightest suburban housewives.

Sounded better than a dual exhaust setup IMHO. It had a muffler and a converter.

Performed better for sure.

Sound has more to do with the muffler, the pipe design and any resonators/convertors you have in the system.

Only place a dual exhaust wins out is if it's properly sized to pass enough at the very top end. Then you can use scavenging to improve cylinder filling a bit (you can do the same with a single, but it's not as easy). It's also easier to package two smaller pipes instead of one very large one that will flow the same on the top.

Street engines spend their lives in the bottom end where a single wins out. A dual exhaust won't hurt it (if properly sized), but it's more of a fashion statement (and extra cost) than anything else.

If you like dual exhaust, then go get it.

:)

Last edited:

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Thats what im looking for quiet when im just driving. Yet when I want to hear it I can. Im leaning towards the dynomax ultra ss for a single outlet or the ultra flo x for a dual

Adam

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I have generally been function over form. So I think I may lean towards the single exit.. Hopefully I get the grumble im looking for.

Adam

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I like it. I really appreciate your help. I like looking at the practically vs just aesthetics. I always get caught up in looks and what others think.

Adam

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I like it. I really appreciate your help. I like looking at the practically vs just aesthetics. I always get caught up in looks and what others think.

Adam

Do a little google on exhaust design.

Lots out there.

Some of it contradicts others, so you have to read and come to your own conclusions sometimes.

What I posted has been my experience from over 30 odd years of wrenching....your experiences could very well differ.

exhaust design is so sensitive to this bend in that place that its hard to make generalizations that always stick....

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Though not "practical" dual exhausts (even a cat-back in my case) do look nice....

Personally I feel like it's such a huge improvement just aesthetically over stock. Sound is always awesome to get with it too

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Though not "practical" dual exhausts (even a cat-back in my case) do look nice....

Personally I feel like it's such a huge improvement just aesthetically over stock. Sound is always awesome to get with it too

Nothing wrong with doing dual exhaust for aesthetic reasons if that's what you want.

I just get a giggle when guys point to a "true dual" exhaust (where the hell did that goofy "true" thing come from anyways?) on an essentially stock truck and then start talking about horsepower, backpressure, flow, etc...sheesh, dude.

Then I ask them what happens if they get a flat tire and they get all pissed off and don't want to talk anymore.

I don't even have to get in to engine theory!

:rofl: