what programer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89 8lughd

Reaction score
I have a 1999 k3500 with a 6in lift, 35in tires on it and 350 in it and looking to get some more power to haul around this big ass truck lol. has intake system, exhuast and JBA headers already. i know live tunes are better but what would be a good programer to get if i was to go this route?

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I have a 1999 k3500 with a 6in lift, 35in tires on it and 350 in it and looking to get some more power to haul around this big ass truck lol. has intake system, exhuast and JBA headers already. i know live tunes are better but what would be a good programer to get if i was to go this route?
Black bear performance

sent from my glade air freshner

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
No programmer is a better bang for the buck compared to an actual customized tune.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree 100% with the custom tune. I bought a Jet programmer for my 97 from Summit. It does help, but for the same money I could have had a custom tune. The plus to have the programmer, is that it is also a live sensor reader, and I can reset any ECM codes. I thought when I got the programmer, it would make a lot bigger difference than it did, but it did help some. The biggest difference I see is in the transmission. It shifts a lot crisper than the long slow shifts before. The way I gauge my truck is, when I turn right out of my street, and I get straight from the turn, then floor it, I was doing 50 MPH at the first block. After the programming the truck, I now do 54 MPH. Also I fixed the speedo being off, and did away with the speed limiter. The truck now limits out at 228 MPH, not that it will ever go that fast. My truck is set on max performance, for premium fuel, but I still run regular with no issues. I tried premium first, then plus then regular. Non of that made any difference in my truck. The ECM reader and live sensor reader has come in very handy in finding issues with tripped ECM codes, and looking at what the sensors are doing with the truck running. All in all I am happy with my Jet programmer. If I ever get a custom tune, I would keet the programmer, because of all the things it can do with the live sensor readings.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No programmer is a better bang for the buck compared to an actual customized tune.

This, 100%. A real tune is probably going to be cheaper, and way more gain. Plus through Black Bear you get free re-tunes for life.

99K3500HDCCLB

Reaction score
a lot of tunes don't work with our obdII . I looked at diablo tune and no joy

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
a lot of tunes don't work with our obdII . I looked at diablo tune and no joy

Diablo is a programmer company, not an actual tuner. Just like Jet, Hypertech, etc. Basically what we're all trying to talk him out of.

Companies like Black Bear, Nelson Racing, PCMforLess and others are real tuners. These guys actually mail you a tuned PCM that you swap yours out for. They custom tune the PCM for your truck and list of mods, and are way more effective than the cookie cutter tunes that are embedded in all those handheld programmers. Like I said earlier, they're cheaper than the handhelds too.

89 8lughd

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your input. im leaning towards the live tune.I have a buddy that works at a place called street to sand and he did my live tune on my duramax so im thinking about just having him do it. they have a dyno so i can see the actaul gains before and after